flap : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n any broad thin and limber covering attached at one edge; hangs loose or projects freely
he wrote on the flap of the envelope
- n an excited state of agitation
there was a terrible flap about the theft
- n the motion made by flapping up and down
- n a movable piece of tissue partly connected to the body
- n a movable airfoil that is part of an aircraft wing; used to increase lift or drag
- v move in a wavy pattern or with a rising and falling motion
- v move noisily
flags flapped in the strong wind
- v move with a thrashing motion
The bird flapped its wings
- v move with a flapping motion
The bird's wings were flapping
- v make a fuss; be agitated
- v pronounce with a flap, of alveolar sounds
- Just as sure as Washington's cherry trees produce cherry blossoms, the Kennedy Administration was bound to be embarrassed by a first flap.
- The flap those words created, with their echoes of the Third Reich, reveals both the deadly seriousness with which Germans view their wartime past and the gulf separating Lynch's .
- The CBS flap is one more sign of the ferocious struggle between political partisans to see the world their way: The Paper Chase How did Dan Rather get in this fix?.
News & Articles
- Russ Lemmon: All eyes will be on Fletcher, Carroll at this week's Vero Beach council meeting | Video, Photo gallery
In the Vero Beach City Council's first meeting since the flap over a proclamation for Humanist Recognition Week, all eyes will be on Craig Fletcher and Tracy Carroll. Will they publicly apologize to Phil Katrovitz for the way they treated him?
June 18, 2013 - Indian River Press Journal
- Questions persist about NSA surveillance
CNET Update wants answers: In this episode of Update: - Get up to speed on the latest developments in the NSA spying flap and how it extends to contents of U.S. phone calls . Apple, Microsoft and Facebook are only able to disclose limited details on government requests for customer … Originally posted at CNET Update
June 17, 2013 - CNET
- Woodland trustees move Community Day School back to old location
A minor flap over a school for troubled kids housed at Dingle Elementary resolved itself Thursday when trustees voted to move the school.Community Day School, or CDS, is a district-run program designed for grade-school students with behavioral issues who aren't getting along in a typical classroom
June 16, 2013 - The Daily Democrat
- Larry Bowa in USA Today
They're just trying to take safety measures,Bowa said. "I prefer to wear an insert. With an ear flap, I would definitely think it would be a hindrance, it would get in the way."
- Mike Piazza in FOXSports.com
It hit me partly on the back of the head and partly on the helmet where the ear flap is nonexistent. That's why I'm going to press charges on him,said Piazza, who homered in the fifth inning. "It was a gutless move, but what are you going...
- Kevin Rudd in Camden Advertiser
As happened before the last election, the 2004 election, whatever is said before the election, we know one thing for certain - what they say before the election will turn turtle after the election,Mr Rudd said. "We've got flip, flop, flap...