flapper : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a young woman in the 1920s who flaunted her unconventional conduct and dress
- Her boyish "flapper" creations were in stark contrast to the Belle Epoque millinery that was in vogue at the time, and about which she asked, "How can a brain function under those .
- Celebrating the centenary of Louise Brooks, the movies great unknown flapper.
- In the booming, pre-Crash 1920s, flapper hemlines bounced giddily to the knee before falling down to the ankles in the depressed 1930s.
News & Articles
- Summer fashion shines in metallics
Models weren’t just walking on metal runways at the spring fashion shows, they were wearing metal as well. Metallic fabrics create a space-aged futuristic look that can be out of this world. They time travel too with flapper-inspired looks made popular by the release of the film, “The Great Gatsby.” The dress pictured here combines the [...]
June 15, 2013 - The Gazette
- The Joy of Frances Ha
Just try not loving Greta Gerwig. Impossible. FRANCES HA. The quirky, hipster ingénue is a trope that will probably last forever. From the flapper girls of the silent era through Annie Hall and Amélie , leading men have been tripping over themselves to win the hearts of girls with that certain je ne sais quoi.
June 13, 2013 - The North Coast Journal
- Do Manchester United Need to Sign Goalkeeper Asmir Begovic?
David de Gea couldn’t have had a better season at Old Trafford . The Spanish goalkeeper was an adroit presence between the sticks in his sophomore campaign at Manchester United , defying those who had written him off the summer before. His critics called him a flapper, a keeper unable to hold onto a cross or collect a corner comfortably. His presence in his own penalty area was called into ...
June 12, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- Anna Wintour in New York Times
While Ms. Wintour said: "It looks so modern, the flapper girls could be wearing dresses from today."
- Hilary Duff in People Magazine
It was fun to work with her in a different atmosphere than appearing on her show,Duff told reporters. "She looked beautiful and did a really great job. She had the flat hair that squiggles on her forehead. Very flapper-ish!"
- D Wayne Lukas in ESPN
His last race you have to completely throw out because of throat problems,Lukas said. "We're training a different horse now than we were when he ran then. He had a lazy flapper, which we did a tie-back on. That worked out very...