flutter : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the act of moving back and forth
- n abnormally rapid beating of the auricles of the heart (especially in a regular rhythm); can result in heart block
- n a disorderly outburst or tumult
- n the motion made by flapping up and down
- v move along rapidly and lightly; skim or dart
- v move back and forth very rapidly
- v flap the wings rapidly or fly with flapping movements
The seagulls fluttered overhead
- v beat rapidly
- v wink briefly
- They brought the green, red and gold banner of Bengal out of secret hiding places to flutter freely from buildings, while huge pictures of their imprisoned leader, Sheik .
- Last week history was made amid the flutter of colorful balloons, the sputtering of rattletrap Trabants and Wartburgs and -- pop! -- the burst of champagne corks.
- The only movement that suggests human habitation is the flutter of laundry on clotheslines.
News & Articles
- Unique environment at Mill Creek about to get a science-based makeover
From the edge of a bridge we watched two rainbow trout holding tight in a deep, clear pool along fast-flowing Mill Creek, the fish waiting for something tasty to flutter onto the surface.
June 13, 2013 - The Springfield News-Leader
- Porn and facial recognition: Sorry glassholes, not today
Google Glass is all the rage on the interwebs lately. The nerds are a-flutter at the Internet-integrated glasses that make it incredibly awkward to have a human exchange with someone wearing them, so much so that a new term has come about for the glasses wearers: glasshole . Unfortunately the pervy-est of nerds won't be able to extend the most intimate relationship they've had with their ...
June 10, 2013 - Creative Loafing Charlotte
- 'Skitter Flutter' sound sculpture
visual1sound0505: 'Skitter Flutter,' a sound installation by Robbie Lynn Hunsinger, opens May 10 at SeedSpace Gallery. At last fall’s Sound Crawl festival, Robbie Lynn Hunsinger premiered a composition she called “Arduino and Sax duet for robotic drummer.”
June 8, 2013 - The Journal News
- Buck Pierce in TSN
It was nice,Pierce said with a smile. "I even caught myself looking at the ball in the air a little bit, thinking, `That's kind of a pretty ball flying through the air.' Not a flutter or anything and Terrence ran under it and he did the...
- Jennifer Lopez in The Gossip Girls (blog)
Then one day while she was getting her hair and makeup done, Jennifer explains: "I felt a flutter. The weirdest little ...... flourish," she recalls. "My makeup artist said, 'What's the matter?' I didn't say anything, but in my head, I was...
- Sharon Osbourne in PR Newswire (press release)
Sharon Osbourne says, "The developers at Microgaming have done a fantastic job at bringing all our family to life within the game and they've even managed to immortalise my beloved dog, Minnie! I'll certainly have a little flutter when it's...