- n nocturnal mouselike mammal with forelimbs modified to form membranous wings and anatomical adaptations for echolocation by which they navigate
- n (baseball) a turn trying to get a hit
he was at bat when it happened
he got four hits in four at-bats
- n a small racket with a long handle used for playing squash
- n the club used in playing cricket
a cricket bat has a narrow handle and a broad flat end for hitting
- n a club used for hitting a ball in various games
- v strike with, or as if with a baseball bat
bat the ball
- v wink briefly
bat one's eyelids
- v have a turn at bat
Jones bats first, followed by Martinez
- v use a bat
- v beat thoroughly and conclusively in a competition or fight
- Naturalist Leonard Dubkin, who once wrote a nature column for the Chicago Tribune, is probably the only man who ever lost his heart to an albino bat.
- Scientists have known for years that bats navigate by sonar.
- In the long memory of man, the fly-by-night, leather-winged bat has seldom been anything but a creature of ill reputea companion of witches and devils and a portent of disaster.
News & Articles
- Rabid bat captured in Clark County
A bat found in a Springfield family’s home last week has tested positive for the rabies virus, health officials confirmed Wednesday. The family captured the bat Friday and turned it over to the Clark County Combined Health District for testing by the Ohio Department of Health. It’s the first bat to have tested positive for rabies in Clark County this year, health district spokesman Vince Carter ...
June 12, 2013 - Springfield News-Sun
- Massive Bat Cave Stirs Texas-Sized Debate Over Development
The Bracken Bat Cave, just north of San Antonio, is as rural as it gets. You have to drive down a long two-mile rocky road to reach it. There's nothing nearby no lights, no running water. The only thing you hear are the katydids. The cave houses a massive bat colony, as it has for an estimated...
June 11, 2013 - Georgia Public Broadcasting
- Bat for Lashes and TOY Remake Iranian Pop With 'The Bride'
Bat for Lashes has teamed with the psych outfit TOY to record "The Bride," an English reworking of Iranian song "Aroos Khanom." Originally by Amir Rassaei, the song appeared on 1970s-focused compilation
June 10, 2013 - Spin
- Rod Blagojevich in NPR
I'm here to tell you right off the bat that I am not guilty of any criminal wrongdoing,Blagojevich said. "I will fight until I take my last breath."
- Joe Girardi in SI.com
If it does happen, obviously they're getting two very good players,said Yankees manager Joe Girardi, who managed the Marlins in 2006. "Miguel Cabrera is one of the finest hitters in the game. He can do so many things with a bat, whether...
- Patrick Leahy in Forbes
This is like saying when somebody murders somebody with aa baseball bat and you say, 'We had a law against murder but we never mentioned baseball bats,'said Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt. "Murder is murder. Torture is...