- n ammunition consisting of a cylindrical metal casing containing an explosive charge and a projectile; fired from a large gun
- n the material that forms the hard outer covering of many animals
- n hard outer covering or case of certain organisms such as arthropods and turtles
- n the hard usually fibrous outer layer of some fruits especially nuts
- n the exterior covering of a bird's egg
- n a rigid covering that envelops an object
the satellite is covered with a smooth shell of ice
- n a very light narrow racing boat
- n the housing or outer covering of something
- n a metal sheathing of uniform thickness (such as the shield attached to an artillery piece to protect the gunners)
- n the hard largely calcareous covering of a mollusc or a brachiopod
- v use explosives on
The enemy has been shelling us all day
- v create by using explosives
- v fall out of the pod or husk
The corn shelled
- v hit the pitches of hard and regularly
He shelled the pitcher for eight runs in the first inning
- v look for and collect shells by the seashore
- v come out better in a competition, race, or conflict
- v remove from its shell or outer covering
shell the legumes
- v remove the husks from
- In 1922 the Nylandska Jaktklubben (Royal Finnish Yacht Club) put up a golden nautilus shell, no larger than a lady's hand, to stimulate international competition at six-meter yacht .
- During the War many an able soldier suffered from "shell shock.
- These shell companies, run by Enron executives who profited richly from them, allowed Enron to keep hundreds of millions of dollars in debt off its books.
News & Articles
- Royal Dutch Shell plc: Buyback of Own Shares
LONDON, June 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- ? Royal Dutch Shell plc (NYSE:RDS.A) (NYSE:RDS.B) announces that on 18 June, 2013 it purchased for cancellation 695,191 "B" Shares at a price of 2184.35 ...
June 18, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Waverly-Shell Rock softball rallies by Waterloo West
The 13th ranked Waverly-Shell Rock softball team rallied from a 4 run deficit to beat Waterloo West 14-9 in a topsy turvy game in Waterloo. West held leads of 6-2 and 7-4 before the Go-Hawks rallied
June 18, 2013 - KWWL Iowa
- Shell Rotella SuperRigs show picks calendar trucks, hosts parade this week
The Shell Rotella SuperRigs show will take place this week — June 20-22 — in Tomah, Wis., alongside the Budweiser Dairyland Super National Truck & Tractor Pull. The annual event is held as a competition for owner-operators and to decide the 12 trucks that will be featured in the next year’s SuperRigs calendar.
June 17, 2013 - eTrucker
- Lucas Glover in USA Today
I've been a pain at home, (that) would be fair,Glover said. "But I take it out on myself and kind of clam up in my own little shell."
- Mitch McConnell in International Herald Tribune
With those weaknesses, the proposal might mean that taxpayers would be asked "to shell out billions more a few years or even a few months from now," McConnell said.
- Mike Tomlin in TSN
We came up short. We accept responsibility for that,said Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. "We will not go gently. We will unleash hell here in December because we have to. We won't go in a shell, we'll go into attack mode, because that's what...