- n 16 ounces avoirdupois
he got a hernia when he tried to lift 100 pounds
- n the basic unit of money in Great Britain and Northern Ireland; equal to 100 pence
- n a unit of apothecary weight equal to 12 ounces troy
- n the basic unit of money in Syria; equal to 100 piasters
- n the basic unit of money in the Sudan; equal to 100 piasters
- n the basic unit of money in Lebanon; equal to 100 piasters
- n formerly the basic unit of money in Ireland; equal to 100 pence
- n the basic unit of money in Egypt; equal to 100 piasters
- n the basic unit of money in Cyprus; equal to 100 cents
- n a nontechnical unit of force equal to the mass of 1 pound with an acceleration of free fall equal to 32 feet/sec/sec
- n United States writer who lived in Europe; strongly influenced the development of modern literature (1885-1972)
- n a symbol for a unit of currency (especially for the pound sterling in Great Britain)
- n a public enclosure for stray or unlicensed dogs
unlicensed dogs will be taken to the pound
- n the act of pounding (delivering repeated heavy blows)
the pounding of feet on the hallway
- v hit hard with the hand, fist, or some heavy instrument
the salesman pounded the door knocker
- v strike or drive against with a heavy impact
pound on the door
- v move heavily or clumsily
- v move rhythmically
- v partition off into compartments
The locks pound the water of the canal
- v shut up or confine in any enclosure or within any bounds or limits
The prisoners are safely pounded
- v place or shut up in a pound
pound the cows so they don't stray
- v break down and crush by beating, as with a pestle
pound the roots with a heavy flat stone
- Other terms for the move include "power five," "fist pound," "knuckle bump," "Quarter Pounder" and "dap.
- That shed another 2,500 pounds.
- Pound, Dollar Franc Chaos but not panic gripped world money marts last week.
News & Articles
- Pound Climbs a Third Week Versus Dollar as Jobless Claims Fall
The pound climbed for a third week versus the dollar, the longest run of gains since September, as a report showed U.K. jobless claims fell more than economists forecast in May, adding to signs the economy is recovering.
June 15, 2013 - Bloomberg
- Pound Pups
Four dogs and a cat at the Park Hills pound, as well as a large number of cats and kittens at the Farmington pound, are seeking their owners or new homes where they can be loved and cared for.
June 15, 2013 - Park Hills Daily Journal
- Pound Set for Third Weekly Advance as U.K. House Prices Increase
The pound headed for a third weekly gain versus the dollar, its longest winning streak since September, as an industry report showed U.K. house prices rose to a record in May.
June 14, 2013 - Bloomberg
- George Osborne in guardian.co.uk
Osborne said: "Sterling has devalued rapidly against the euro and the dollar. We are in danger, if the government is not careful, of having a proper sterling collapse, a run on the pound. The danger of a run on the pound is that it pushes up...
- Tom Izzo in New York Times
Just as I decided to stay home, I hope a 6-8, 270-pound forward in Cleveland decides to stay home,Izzo said.