poke : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n tall coarse perennial American herb having small white flowers followed by blackish-red berries on long drooping racemes; young fleshy stems are edible; berries and root are poisonous
- n someone who takes more time than necessary; someone who lags behind
- n a bag made of paper or plastic for holding customer's purchases
- n a sharp hand gesture (resembling a blow)
- n (boxing) a blow with the fist
- v poke or thrust abruptly
- v search or inquire in a meddlesome way
- v stir by poking
poke the embers in the fireplace
- v hit hard with the hand, fist, or some heavy instrument
- v make a hole by poking
- For his paper, Ehrsson used a stick to poke the chest of each participant (out of view of the person being poked) while also poking the area below the camera where a chest would .
- This permits part of the stomach to poke upward into the chest cavity and spill digestive juices into the gullet.
- Though the camp's 400 montagnard defenders were patrolling assiduously up to ten miles away, no one thought to poke around his own front yard.
News & Articles
- Perfect casting! Stars as themselves
''This Is the End'' actors poke fun at their personas; see who else hit big in a role they were born to play
June 12, 2013 - Entertainment Weekly
- Miami Heat Fans Love Guard Mu Shu Pork in 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' Segment
If you see a sudden increase of pants on fire in the Miami area, don't panic. It's just the byproduct of Heat fans lying in another hilarious installment of "Lie Witness News." The NBA Finals proved to be the perfect moment for Jimmy Kimmel to poke some fun at basketball fans, or those who claim to be. Last week, he took on Lakers fans who pretty much lied about being ardent basketball ...
June 12, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- NBA players read mean tweets about themselves WITH VIDEO
Proving (for the most part) that they can poke fun at themselves, watch these NBA personalities read aloud mean Tweets to them. From Jimmy Kimmel Live.
June 11, 2013 - The Oakland Press
- Michael Lopez-Alegria in Reuters India
Today, I'm a member of Parliament, I'm a politician, I'm putting myself forward to be prime minister and you are perfectly entitled to follow me around, to poke cameras up my nose to have a good look at me ...... but I do think you're entitled to a... David Cameron http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Cameron&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNE3fAq8g6-iI8HkyqcCrBC0CERH6Q International Herald Tribune http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/11/europe/EU-GEN-Britain-Cameron-Marijuana.php&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFrONGOCu_ntK-pgD8bw9WcmXGICQ Feb 11, 2007
75642 102107 poke It's helpful to poke it here and there. I think this will not be very different than that, although we'll be poking gently," Lopez-Alegria said.
- Denny Crum in SI.com
I didn't even realize why they were cheering,Crum said. "My wife had to poke me."