slug : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a projectile that is fired from a gun
- n a unit of mass equal to the mass that accelerates at 1 foot/sec/sec when acted upon by a force of 1 pound; approximately 14.5939 kilograms
- n a counterfeit coin
- n an idle slothful person
- n an amount of an alcoholic drink (usually liquor) that is poured or gulped
he took a slug of hard liquor
- n a strip of type metal used for spacing
- n any of various terrestrial gastropods having an elongated slimy body and no external shell
- n (boxing) a blow with the fist
- v strike heavily, especially with the fist or a bat
He slugged me so hard that I passed out
- v be idle; exist in a changeless situation
He slugged in bed all morning
- In North Carolina it is usually the "woolly slug," in Texas it is often "woolly worm," and in between it may be the puss caterpillar, possum bug, or Italian asp.
- A banana slug is a slimy yellow mollusk that slides across the ground, leaving an oily residue wherever it goes.
- Instead, the Americans argued their case publicly with deductive reasoning: the copper slugs used in EFPs had to be precisely tooled with a heavy press in order to work properly .
News & Articles
- UFC fighter Carlos Condit talks about special event in Indy
Two major contenders will slug it out in a very special UFC event here in Indianapolis. “Natural Born Killer” Carlos Condit takes on Martin Kampmann at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in August. Condit joined Fox59 News Thursday morning to talk about …
June 13, 2013 - FOX 59 Indianapolis
- 2013 NBA Playoffs: Top 10 Best Plays
At most, four games remain in the 2013 NBA season. While the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs slug it out in what is shaping up to be a classic finals, let's not forget the spectacular plays that have made this postseason so spectacular. The NBA playoffs are a ceaseless two-month grind. It does not operate in the same manner as the NCAA tournament, whose maximum drama, single-elimination ...
June 13, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- Predatory Sea Slug Learns What Not To Eat Through Trial And Error
April Flowers for redOrbit.com – Your Universe Online A predatory sea slug that normally isn’t very picky about what it consumes has more complex cognitive abilities than scientists previously thought, according to a new study from the University of Illinois . These cognitive abilities allow Pleurobranchaea californica to learn the warning cues of dangerous prey and avoid them in the future ...
June 8, 2013 - redOrbit
- Omar Minaya in ESPN (blog)
When we started this winter, we felt that one of these areas that we needed to improve on we felt that we had to slug more, to be able to have a power hitter, to be able to have a guy that would fit into the middle of our lineup,Minaya said....
- Mike Lowell in USA Today
Not to take away from their offense, but without pitching, you can't slug every night,Lowell added. "Their pitching keeps them in games."
- John Tortorella in ESPN
We slugged our way through. It could have gone either way,Lightning coach John Tortorella said. "A big play wins it. Fluky goals both ways on both teams, but we just found a way to slug our way through and get a win."