- n an area that includes places where several people can sit
- n a space reserved for sitting (as in a theater or on a train or airplane)
he booked their seats in advance
- n the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on
- n furniture that is designed for sitting on
there were not enough seats for all the guests
- n any support where you can sit (especially the part of a chair or bench etc. on which you sit)
- n a center of authority (as a city from which authority is exercised)
- n the location (metaphorically speaking) where something is based
- n the legal right to sit as a member in a legislative or similar body
- n a part of a machine that supports or guides another part
- n the cloth covering for the buttocks
- v show to a seat; assign a seat for
- v be able to seat
The theater seats 2,000
- v place ceremoniously or formally in an office or position
- v put a seat on a chair
- v provide with seats
- v place or attach firmly in or on a base
- v place in or on a seat
- Democrats would only need a net gain of 11 seats to win back the House not a huge number when you consider that 435 seats are up for grabs.
- The White House has just put out a list of who will be sitting in the best seats in the House (Chamber) tonight.
- Sturdier Seats Congress's Airport and Airway Safety Act of 1987 called for regulators to improve what is called the "crash-worthiness standard" of seats in effect, the .
- Barack Obama in Jewish Telegraphic Agency
She would relish, as I do, the prospect of three women taking their seats on the Supreme Court for the first time in history,Obama said of Kagan's late mother, who fought gender discrimination as a lawyer.
- Peter Mandelson in Reuters
The rules are that if it's a hung parliament, it's not the party with the largest number of seats that has first go, it's the sitting government,Business Secretary Peter Mandelson said.
- Kid Rock in E! Online
She's in Vancouver shooting a movie, and I have Laker seats on the floor, and I'm gonna go to the Lakers game with my friend Jesse James,Rock said. "She finally comes up with this: 'I just had a miscarriage':and hangs the phone up."