- n a space reserved for sitting (as in a theater or on a train or airplane)
he booked their seats in advance
- n the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on
- n furniture that is designed for sitting on
there were not enough seats for all the guests
- n any support where you can sit (especially the part of a chair or bench etc. on which you sit)
he dusted off the seat before sitting down
- n a center of authority (as a city from which authority is exercised)
- n the location (metaphorically speaking) where something is based
the brain is said to be the seat of reason
- n the legal right to sit as a member in a legislative or similar body
he was elected to a seat in the Senate
- n a part of a machine that supports or guides another part
- n the cloth covering for the buttocks
the seat of his pants was worn through
- v show to a seat; assign a seat for
The host seated me next to Mrs. Smith
- v be able to seat
The theater seats 2,000
- v place ceremoniously or formally in an office or position
- v put a seat on a chair
- v provide with seats
seat a concert hall
- v place or attach firmly in or on a base
seat the camera on the tripod
- v place in or on a seat
the mother seated the toddler on the high chair
- Justice Sonia Sotomayor has taken her seat at the Supreme Court in front of a packed courtroom that included President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden.
- The Senate-seat scheme is only one of the allegations lodged against the two-term governor, whose administration has been under investigation for alleged "pay to play" patronage .
- Always reserve a seat at the time of booking, and if the airline or booking engine won't let you, keep revisiting until you can.
News & Articles
- Suburban Auto Seat Achieves WBENC Certification
LODI, N.J., June 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Suburban Auto Seat Co., Inc ., specializing in the distribution of replacement truck, agricultural vehicle, bus, ground support equipment, ferry boat, and material ...
June 13, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Seat belt infractions may cost Battle Ground man $1,240
A Battle Ground man received 10 tickets totaling $1,240 Sunday afternoon for packing his nine-seat Suburban with 17 people, 10 of whom were children not wearing seat belts.
June 12, 2013 - The Columbian
- Seat belt and cell phone driving infractions have increased in 2013
More drivers were caught without seat belts or driving while using a cell phone during a two-week long enforcement in Thurston County at the end of May than last year, according to a news release.
June 11, 2013 - The Olympian