place : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a point located with respect to surface features of some region
this is a nice place for a picnic
- n any area set aside for a particular purpose
who owns this place?
- n an abstract mental location
he has a special place in my thoughts
a place in my heart
a political system with no place for the less prominent groups
- n a general vicinity
He comes from a place near Chicago
- n the post or function properly or customarily occupied or served by another
took his place
- n a particular situation
If you were in my place what would you do?
- n where you live at a particular time
your place or mine?
- n a job in an organization
- n the particular portion of space occupied by something
he put the lamp back in its place
- n proper or designated social situation
he overstepped his place
- n a space reserved for sitting (as in a theater or on a train or airplane)
he sat in someone else's place
- n the passage that is being read
he lost his place on the page
- n proper or appropriate position or location
a woman's place is no longer in the kitchen
- n a public square with room for pedestrians
- n an item on a list or in a sequence
in the second place
- n a blank area
- v put into a certain place or abstract location
- v place somebody in a particular situation or location
he was placed on probation
- v assign a rank or rating to
- v assign a location to
- v to arrange for
place a phone call
place a bet
- v take a place in a competition; often followed by an ordinal
- v intend (something) to move towards a certain goal
- v recognize as being; establish the identity of someone or something
- v assign to (a job or a home)
- v locate
- v estimate
- v identify the location or place of
- v make an investment
- v assign to a station
- v finish second or better in a horse or dog race
he bet $2 on number six to place
- v sing a note with the correct pitch
- After the family nixed the idea of burying Michael Jackson at Neverland, they decided on a resting place at a celebrity-filled mausoleum in Glendale, Calif.
- As Place looked for information in online forums, he found that women were used to treating breast cancer sites as women's-only safehouses, a place to discuss their bodies with .
- They mingle with the fashionably dressed twentysomethings who flock here because Eslite has become Taipei's place to be seen.
News & Articles
- ILFC to place $5 billion order for 50 Airbus jets: sources
PARIS (Reuters) - International Lease Finance Corp is set to place an order for 50 Airbus A320neo narrowbody jets worth $5 billion at list prices, industry sources said on Sunday. The order by one of the world's largest aircraft leasing companies could be announced as early as Monday at the Paris Airshow. It lifts the Los Angeles-based firm's portfolio of a revamped model of European medium-haul ...
June 16, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- 11th-Place finish at Milwaukee leaves Newgarden wanting more
MILWAUKEE - Josef Newgarden had high hopes for his second shot at the Milwaukee Mile, but an 11th-place finish left the competitive 22-year-old driver feeling frustrated and unsatisfied. "It wasn't a good day," Newgarden said. "It was a rough one and it stinks sometimes because you don't have the package, but we'll keep working hard. There's definitely no quit in this ... Keep reading
June 16, 2013 - Motorsport.com
- Longtime Elmwood Place teacher honored
In Elmwood Place Saturday former students of Vickie Stambaugh paid tribute to the longtime teacher by having a park renamed in her honor.
June 16, 2013 - WCPO Cincinnati
- Paris Hilton in The Associated Press
Everyone was super nice and friendly to me,Hilton wrote. "I love South Africa! Such an amazing place, especially during The World Cup! Hope that clears everything up."
- Joe Johnson in The Associated Press
Although I explored several different opportunities this offseason, Atlanta was the place I wanted to be,Johnson said in a statement released by the team.
- Philipp Lahm in The Associated Press
Right now, I really don't feel like playing for third place,captain Philipp Lahm said. "The disappointment is very big. We had a lot as our goal and we didn't succeed."