- n an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control: "the range of a supersonic jet"
a piano has a greater range than the human voice
- n the limits within which something can be effective
range of motion
- n a large tract of grassy open land on which livestock can graze
they used to drive the cattle across the open range every spring
he dreamed of a home on the range
- n a series of hills or mountains
the valley was between two ranges of hills
the plains lay just beyond the mountain range
- n a place for shooting (firing or driving) projectiles of various kinds
the army maintains a missile range in the desert
any good golf club will have a range where you can practice
- n a variety of different things or activities
he answered a range of questions
he was impressed by the range and diversity of the collection
- n (mathematics) the set of values of the dependent variable for which a function is defined
- n the limit of capability
- n a kitchen appliance used for cooking food
- v change or be different within limits
Estimates for the losses in the earthquake range as high as $2 billion
The instruments ranged from tuba to cymbals
My students range from very bright to dull
- v move about aimlessly or without any destination, often in search of food or employment
- v have a range; be capable of projecting over a certain distance, as of a gun
This gun ranges over two miles
- v range or extend over; occupy a certain area
- v lay out orderly or logically in a line or as if in a line
- v feed as in a meadow or pasture
- v let eat
range the animals in the prairie
- v assign a rank or rating to
- Today, the CSS-4 has a range in excess of 7,400 miles.
- Over to the right, the Aberdare range begins to loom, blue and smoky, and that's where the Mau Mau gangs lurk, and strike from.
- Soviet medium-range bombers, on the other hand, would not be counted, nor would the Kremlin's intermediate-range missiles, most notably the triple-warhead SS-20, even though they .
News & Articles
- Range Resources unveils fleet of dual-fuel vehicles
Photo Earl Neikirk/Bristol Herald Courier Josh Price, Range Resources, describes the process to fill the tank of his natural gas truck on Tuesday in Abingdon, va. Range has a fleet of 10 trucks that run on CNG and gas.
June 12, 2013 - Bristol Herald Courier
- Front Range a leader in math and science jobs
Colorado's Front Range boasts an above-average concentration of jobs in fields requiring expertise in science, technology, engineering and mathematics, a study released Monday by the Brookings Institution's Metropolitan Policy Program found.
June 11, 2013 - Denver Post
- All-New Range Rover Sport Sets Pikes Peak Hill Climb Record
The all-new Range Rover Sport yesterday established the record for a production-standard Sport Utility Vehicle and broke the long standing record for any kind of production-standard vehicle on the Pikes Pike International Hill Climb course, venue of the spectacular annual competition known as 'The Race To the Clouds'.
June 11, 2013 - The Auto Channel
- Barack Obama in BBC News
North Korea broke the rules once more by testing a rocket that could be used for a long-range missile,Mr Obama told a crowd in the Czech capital, Prague. "This provocation underscores the need for action - not just this afternoon at the UN...
- Placido Domingo in Washington Post
I always admired the God-given glory of his voice _ that unmistakable special timbre from the bottom up to the very top of the tenor range,Domingo said in a statement from Los Angeles.