chain : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a series of things depending on each other as if linked together
the chain of command
- n (chemistry) a series of linked atoms (generally in an organic molecule)
- n a series of (usually metal) rings or links fitted into one another to make a flexible ligament
- n (business) a number of similar establishments (stores or restaurants or banks or hotels or theaters) under one ownership
- n anything that acts as a restraint
- n a unit of length
- n British biochemist (born in Germany) who isolated and purified penicillin, which had been discovered in 1928 by Sir Alexander Fleming (1906-1979)
- n a series of hills or mountains
- n a linked or connected series of objects
a chain of daisies
- n a necklace made by a stringing objects together;
- v connect or arrange into a chain by linking
- v fasten or secure with chains
- It was building seven more stores in six cities, stretching the chain from Manhattan to the Pacific Coast.
- Branding has been a large part of the Swedish chain's success what urban dweller today, whether in Atlanta or Kuala Lumpur, doesn't recognize that bright blue warehouse .
- Georgia had come to take Robert Elliott Burns back to one of its notorious chain gangs.
News & Articles
- Chain Drive experience used to master mud
HANCOCK — An early-morning rain made things a little more complicated on the Maasto Hiihto trails for Saturday's Keweenaw Chain Drive.
June 17, 2013 - The Daily Mining Gazette
- HCSO: Drunk driver charged in fatal, chain-reaction crash on Highway 6
HOUSTON—A drunk driver caused a fatal chain-reaction crash on Highway 6 Saturday night, according to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office. Aaron Jaques, 22, was charged with intoxication manslaughter. Deputies said Aaron Jaques was speeding northbound in the 7500 block of North State Highway 6 around 11:30 p.m. when he slammed his Dodge Charger into the back of a slower moving pickup truck. The ...
June 17, 2013 - KHOU 11 Houston
- Logility Congratulates The 2013 Gartner Supply Chain Top 25 Recipients
Logility Inc., a leading supplier of collaborative solutions to optimize the supply chain, congratulates the 25 recipients of the annual Gartner Supply Chain Top 25, an honor that
June 17, 2013 - Business Wire via Yahoo! Finance
- Sheryl Crow in Ninemsn
I'd love to do The Chain, I'd love to do Second Hand News,Crow said.
- Gen James L Jones in Newsweek
At that time General Jones-the "clown"-issued a public rebuke, saying that "it is better for military advice to come up through the chain of command."
- Barack Obama in Washington Post
Our democracy depends upon institutions that are stronger than individuals,he said. "That includes strict adherence to the military chain of command and respect for civilian control over that chain of command."