- n a force that moves something along
- n the gradual departure from an intended course due to external influences (as a ship or plane)
- n a process of linguistic change over a period of time
- n a large mass of material that is heaped up by the wind or by water currents
- n a general tendency to change (as of opinion)
- n the pervading meaning or tenor
caught the general drift of the conversation
- n a horizontal (or nearly horizontal) passageway in a mine
they dug a drift parallel with the vein
- v be in motion due to some air or water current
the boat drifted on the lake
The sailboat was adrift on the open sea
the shipwrecked boat drifted away from the shore
- v wander from a direct course or at random
don't drift from the set course
- v move about aimlessly or without any destination, often in search of food or employment
the laborers drift from one town to the next
- v vary or move from a fixed point or course
stock prices are drifting higher
- v live unhurriedly, irresponsibly, or freely
My son drifted around for years in California before going to law school
- v move in an unhurried fashion
The unknown young man drifted among the invited guests
- v cause to be carried by a current
drift the boats downstream
- v drive slowly and far afield for grazing
drift the cattle herds westwards
- v be subject to fluctuation
The stock market drifted upward
- v be piled up in banks or heaps by the force of wind or a current
snow drifting several feet high
sand drifting like snow
- Catch my drift Snow is nice to look at and fun to romp in, but snow removal is a pain.
- Drift, Distraction, Dictator How far the Soviet State has drifted from its proletarian moorings further appeared last week when Premier Vyacheslav Molotov was quoted as.
- Were all continents once snuggled together in a mammoth land mass surrounded by a single shimmering sea? Did the continents begin to drift apart some 200 million years ago?.
News & Articles
- Drift Republic Denim
Drift Republic builds designer-quality men's jeans by hand with raw, selvedge cone denim from the White Oak plant in North Carolina, with buttons from Kentucky and leather patches from Chicago. by Harrison Berry Ever since Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis riveted together their first pair of blue jeans in the 1870s, the race has been on to make the toughest, comfiest and best-looking denim jeans ...
June 12, 2013 - Boise Weekly
- You Have To Watch This Badass Mustang Explosion Fire Drift Madness
This is the jumping, burning, exploding, Mustang-filled drift video of your dreams. This is Fire Drift. The wheelman is Formula Drift champion Vaughn Gittin Jr. and the man behind the video is Andrew "Danger Andy" Laputka , also responsible for the prettiest two drift videos I've ever seen . This time they drift the Mustang. They drift it in front of explosions. They drift it into explosions ...
June 11, 2013 - Jalopnik
- European Stocks To Drift Lower Ahead Of German Court Hearing
European Stocks To Drift Lower Ahead Of German Court Hearing
June 11, 2013 - Nasdaq
- Barack Obama in Los Angeles Times
We must be honest with ourselves,Obama said. "In recent years, we've allowed our alliance to drift."
- Joe Biden in Foreign Policy
The last few years have seen a dangerous drift in relations between Russia and the members of our alliance,Biden said, referring to NATO. "It is time -- to paraphrase President Obama -- it's time to press the reset button and to revisit...
- Dianne Feinstein in The Associated Press
I believe the drift net has been out to find some disqualifying factor and it hasn't been found,Feinstein said.