float : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the time interval between the deposit of a check in a bank and its payment
- n the number of shares outstanding and available for trading by the public
- n a drink with ice cream floating in it
- n an elaborate display mounted on a platform carried by a truck (or pulled by a truck) in a procession or parade
- n a hand tool with a flat face used for smoothing and finishing the surface of plaster or cement or stucco
- n something that floats on the surface of water
- n an air-filled sac near the spinal column in many fishes that helps maintain buoyancy
- v be in motion due to some air or water current
- v be afloat either on or below a liquid surface and not sink to the bottom
- v set afloat
He floated the logs down the river
The boy floated his toy boat on the pond
- v circulate or discuss tentatively; test the waters with
The Republicans are floating the idea of a tax reform
- v move lightly, as if suspended
The dancer floated across the stage
- v put into the water
float a ship
- v make the surface of level or smooth
float the plaster
- v allow (currencies) to fluctuate
The government floated the ruble for a few months
- v convert from a fixed point notation to a floating point notation
- The Page float: Powell as the surprise keynote speaker at the Democrats' convention in Denver.
- He loved floats and glitter and marching bands.
- A shot of bacon can make scrambled eggs seem like a full breakfast feast, while root-beer-float or marshmallow spray may make you crave rice cakes.
News & Articles
- Positive Virtus float breathes life into Australian IPO market
By Jane Wardell and Jackie Range SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia's Virtus Health Ltd became the first in-vitro fertilization company in the world to list, hitting the boards at a 7 percent premium to its offer price and sparking hope of renewed life in the country's stalled initial public offering market. The float is the largest on the Australian exchange so far this year and the biggest private ...
June 11, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Float center offers saltwater sensory deprivation tanks
The concept behind floating is sensory deprivation. The goal is to put you in the "theta" mind state, which is what you experience in between being awake and asleep.
June 11, 2013 - KVAL Eugene
- Photos: Man Survives Float Plane Crash at Willow Lake
A man survived a float plane crash Monday afternoon (June 10) at Willow Lake. These photos were taken by James W. Riley, Broker.
June 11, 2013 - KTUU Anchorage
- Mark Cavendish in The Associated Press
During the good days, the elation from his past successes meant "you kinda float on a cloud," but that "there's people who just want to pull you off that cloud," he said. "There's a lot of people who want to judge my personality on 30...
- President Bush in KPLC-TV
We still have got a huge trade deficit with China, which then causes us to want to work with them to let their currency float. I think that would be helpful in terms of adjusting trade balances,Bush said.
- Piers Sellers in Christian Science Monitor
Sir Isaac absolutely loved it, I've got to tell you,Sellers joked. "We had him in the window and he got to watch his little wood chip float by and ponder the laws of gravitation and everything. I think it was a treat for him."