lay : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a narrative song with a recurrent refrain
- n a narrative poem of popular origin
- v put into a certain place or abstract location
- v put in a horizontal position
lay the books on the table
lay the patient carefully onto the bed
- v prepare or position for action or operation
lay a fire
lay the foundation for a new health care plan
- v lay eggs
This hen doesn't lay
- v impose as a duty, burden, or punishment
lay a responsibility on someone
- v be located or situated somewhere; occupy a certain position
- v be lying, be prostrate; be in a horizontal position
The sick man lay in bed all day
- v originate (in)
- v be and remain in a particular state or condition
- v tell an untruth; pretend with intent to deceive
- v have a place in relation to something else
- v assume a reclining position
- s characteristic of those who are not members of the clergy
the lay ministry
- s not of or from a profession
a lay opinion as to the cause of the disease
- Some lay leadership is needed to help find which direction to go in and what to do.
- Today, the organization includes some 82,000 lay members and 1,800 clergy.
- As she lay on the prison floor, Hwang demanded that she abort the fetus herself.
News & Articles
- Obama to lay out climate change plan in speech on Tuesday
By Steve Holland WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama said on Saturday that he will outline a climate change plan on Tuesday centered around reducing pollution from carbon emissions as he attempts to make good on a pledge for his second term. "This Tuesday, I'll lay out my vision for where I believe we need to go - a national plan to reduce carbon pollution, prepare our country for the ...
June 23, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Back in the Climate Game: Obama Will Lay Out Global-Warming Plan
Since the death of energy reform in Congress, climate change hasn’t been a big topic of discussion in Washington. But on Tuesday, President Obama will lay out a plan to reduce carbon emissions and prepare for global warming, the White House says. Obama tweeted a...
June 23, 2013 - ABC News
- BASEBALL: Lay goes the distance in E’ville’s win
Edwardsville Post 199 pitcher Alex Lay is no stranger to throwing late in ball games after making 12 relief appearances this past spring with the high school team.
June 22, 2013 - Edwardsville Intelligencer
- Barack Obama in CNN
As President Obama said in his inaugural address: "For everywhere we look, there is work to be done. The state of our economy calls for action, bold and swift, and we will act -- not only to create new jobs, but to lay a new foundation for growth....
- Al Sharpton in msnbc.com
Gladys Knight sang her heart out. Now we prepare to lay him to rest,Sharpton posted on his Twitter account during the service that was held outside and then within the marble mausoleum.