- n someone who is not a clergyman or a professional person
- a of or relating to the doctrine that rejects religion and religious considerations
- a characteristic of or devoted to the temporal world as opposed to the spiritual world
- a not concerned with or devoted to religion
secular architecture", "children being brought up in an entirely profane environment
- a of or relating to clergy not bound by monastic vows
the secular clergy
- s characteristic of those who are not members of the clergy
- With the attacks on the minorities, the secular character of the country was under severe strain.
- The truth is that neither Benedict nor his secular critics in Rome are all that interested in revisiting the debates of the past; there is plenty of fresh intellectual manna now to .
- The style of life in the secular city is both pragmatic and profane.
News & Articles
- Syria: Inventing a Religious War
Toby Matthiesen Bashar al-Assad is head of an ostensibly secular Baathist regime and many Shia think his sect, the Alawites, are heretics. Why then is Hezbollah fighting for the regime, and is this conflict really rooted in religion? The answer to both these questions may lie in a suburb of Damascus called Sayyida Zainab, the site of an important Shia shrine and since the 1970s a haven for ...
June 12, 2013 - New York Review of Books
- Men in Black Robes: Revolutionary Preaching
The secular powers that be are putting pressure on pastors to limit their practice of the Christian faith to just the four walls of the local church.
June 11, 2013 - The Christian Post
- Bill Gross: All Assets Are Risky, But I’m Buying Treasuries
When PIMCO’s Bill Gross declared last month that “the secular 30-year bull market in bonds likely ended” on April 29, it was the shot heard around the fixed-income world. But many people wrongly assumed that dramatic declaration meant Gross was turning outright bearish on bonds. As the manager of the $293 billion Total Return Bond [...]
June 11, 2013 - Yahoo! Finance: The Daily Ticker
- Barack Obama in AFP
I'm not saying that faith-based groups are an alternative to government or secular non-profits,Obama said, in remarks distributed before his visit to a community ministry in Zanesville in the battleground state of Ohio. "I'm not saying...
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in EurasiaNet
We share a commitment to democracy, a secular constitution, respect for religious freedom, belief in a free market and a sense of global responsibility,Clinton said during a press conference with her Turkish counterpart, Ali Babacan.
- Deniz Baykal in International Herald Tribune
A person who has defied the (secular) republic, who has said he finds it to be wrong, is about to move to the top of the state. This is a contradiction,said Deniz Baykal, leader of the secular opposition.