bottom : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the lower side of anything
- n the lowest part of anything
they started at the bottom of the hill
- n the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on
- n the second half of an inning; while the home team is at bat
- n a depression forming the ground under a body of water
- n low-lying alluvial land near a river
- n a cargo ship
they did much of their overseas trade in foreign bottoms
- v provide with a bottom or a seat
bottom the chairs
- v strike the ground, as with a ship's bottom
- v come to understand
- a situated at the bottom or lowest position
the bottom drawer
- s the lowest rank
bottom member of the class
- The global fishing industry is increasingly trawling the high seas for bottom-dwelling fish a practice environmentalists say is the world's most destructive business.
- Attrition isn't working, so best-to-worst grading is gaining and those on the bottom get the boot.
- When they reached the bottom, the officers looked around with the beams of their 1,000-watt searchlights.
News & Articles
- Yankees, Rivera Survive Wild 9th to Snap Skid
Bases loaded with two outs. Bottom of the ninth inning in a one-run game. The greatest closer in baseball history facing one of the best hitters of his generation.
June 16, 2013 - New York Times
- River bottom fire burning in Prowers County
A fire started in the Arkansas River bottom near Lamar Friday evening. An official with the Prowers County Office of Emergency Management tweeted that the fire, burning west of Lamar, was started by lightning. At last report, no evacuations had been ordered. 11 fire trucks, 19 firefighters, 1 bulldozer, and 4 other pieces of heavy equipment were being used to fight the fire. The size of the fire ...
June 15, 2013 - KRDO Colorado Springs
- Santa Clara River bottom fire suspends rail service temporarily
Firefighters were mopping up a grass fire off the edge of Oxnard after the river bottom blaze spread to a train trestle, officials said.
June 15, 2013 - Ventura County Star
- Vicente del Bosque in Bellingham Herald
We can say Germany wasn't as good as we thought they'd be today,Spain Coach Vicente del Bosque said. "But that is due to the excellent performance of our team. Bottom line is we played better than expected."
- Barack Obama in Irish Times
Speaking more forcefully than at any time since the attempted attack, Mr Obama said: "The bottom line is this. The US government had sufficient information to have uncovered this plot and potentially disrupt the Christmas Day attack. But our...
- Donovan in IndyPosted
Soccer can be a cruel game,Donovan said. "Sometimes you're at the top and sometimes you are at the bottom of the mountain."