scratch : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an abraded area where the skin is torn or worn off
- n a depression scratched or carved into a surface
- n informal terms for money
- n a competitor who has withdrawn from competition
- n a line indicating the location of the start of a race or a game
- n dry mash for poultry
- n a harsh noise made by scraping
- n poor handwriting
- n (golf) a handicap of zero strokes
a golfer who plays at scratch should be able to achieve par on a course
- n an indication of damage
- v cause friction
my sweater scratches
- v cut the surface of; wear away the surface of
- v scrape or rub as if to relieve itching
Don't scratch your insect bites!
- v postpone indefinitely or annul something that was scheduled
scratch that meeting--the chair is ill
- v remove by erasing or crossing out or as if by drawing a line
scratch that remark
- v gather (money or other resources) together over time
they scratched a meager living
- v carve, cut, or etch into a material or surface
the lovers scratched their names into the bark of the tree
- The story of Sonia Gandhi, 61, is remarkable at every level, and the fairy-tale metaphor barely begins to scratch the surface of its extraordinariness.
- Not since Brasilia and Chandigarh in the 1950s and '60s has any country set out to build a city from scratch on such a scale.
- Greater reliance on scratch tickets and higher prices for thema couple of states have tried $50 scratchersare trends in recent years.
News & Articles
- Kennewick man to fight state lottery; says new scratch card 'misleading'
A Kennewick man plans to fight the Washington State Lottery in court over a scratch card payoff that
June 16, 2013 - Tri-City Herald
- Scratch off game pays off big
Ny lottery's "Fabulous Fortune" left Jamie Velsini, of Mineville, laughing all the way to the bank. His luck added up to one million dollars playing the scratch off game last month. Velsini said he looked over the ticket fifteen times before he was convinced it was real and that he'd won a million dollars. Velsini said he immediately signed the ticket and put it in his glove compartment. What he ...
June 15, 2013 - WPTZ Burlington
- Two grand prize scratch-off tickets sold in Summerville
Two convenience stores in Summerville sold grand prize-winning lottery scratch-off tickets this week to Charleston residents.
June 14, 2013 - Live 5 News Charleston
- Barack Obama in USA Today
I am going to be starting from scratch in the sense that I will be open to any ideas that help promote these goals,Obama said. "What I will not do, what I don't think makes sense and I don't think the American people want to see, would be...
- Jon Kyl in Daily Star - Lebanon
As the Senate prepared to take up the bill Monday, Kyl added: "Our effort is not to delay the bill. We understand the urgency of the situation. When I say 'start from scratch,' what I mean is that the basic approach of this bill we believe is...
- Francesca Schiavone in TSN
I didn't have a lot of energy today,Schiavone said. "It was very close, but she took advantage of her chances, and I didn't. I'll lift my head and start from scratch."