- n the beginning of anything
it was off to a good start
- n the time at which something is supposed to begin
they got an early start
- n a turn to be a starter (in a game at the beginning)
he got his start because one of the regular pitchers was in the hospital
his starting meant that the coach thought he was one of their best linemen
- n a sudden involuntary movement
he awoke with a start
- n the act of starting something
- n a line indicating the location of the start of a race or a game
- n a signal to begin (as in a race)
the starting signal was a green light
the runners awaited the start
- n the advantage gained by beginning early (as in a race)
with an hour's start he will be hard to catch
- v take the first step or steps in carrying out an action
Who will start?
- v set in motion, cause to start
The U.S. started a war in the Middle East
- v leave
- v have a beginning, in a temporal, spatial, or evaluative sense
Prices for these homes start at $250,000
- v bring into being
- v get off the ground
Who started this company?
I start my day with a good breakfast
The blood shed started when the partisans launched a surprise attack
- v move or jump suddenly, as if in surprise or alarm
She startled when I walked into the room
- v get going or set in motion
We simply could not start the engine
start up the computer
- v begin or set in motion
I start at eight in the morning
- v begin work or acting in a certain capacity, office or job
start a new job
- v play in the starting lineup
- v have a beginning characterized in some specified way
- v begin an event that is implied and limited by the nature or inherent function of the direct object
She started the soup while it was still hot
We started physics in 10th grade
- v bulge outward
- Trail rides start at $40; room rates start at $125.
- Rhetoric is one thing that the stop-and-start global diplomacy over climate change has never lacked.
- New data suggest that treatment for HIV may save more lives if started earlier, sparking debate among experts.
News & Articles
- Head Start accepting applications
Transition Resources Corp. Head Start is accepting applications for the 2013-14 Head Start school year.
June 12, 2013 - The Herald Bulletin
- Clay Buchholz start pushed back at least 2 days
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- Clay Buchholz's next start for the Boston Red Sox will be pushed back by at least two days.
June 11, 2013 - The Associated Press via Yahoo! Sports
- Head Start Kids Explore Science, Math
Jerome, Idaho ( KMVT-TV / KTWT-TV ) Head Start is all about making sure kids learn what they need to for school. Usually Head Start students learn how to read and other language skills. But this week kids three through five years old are learning about science and math.
June 11, 2013 - KMVT Twin Falls
- Larry King in ABC News
Before I start the show tonight, I want to share some personal news with you,he said. "Twenty-five years ago, I sat across this table from New York Gov. Mario Cuomo for the first broadcast of 'Larry King Live.' Now, decades later, I talked...
- Benjamin Netanyahu in ABC News
We're ready to make far-reaching concessions today, and the best way to test that is to start negotiations,Netanyahu said.
- Andy Roddick in CBC.ca
I had to make an adjustment,Roddick said. "Off of my serve, I had to start coming in and serving and volleying behind it."