- n informal terms for money
- n the basic unit of money in Israel
- It tells of David's purchase, for 50 shekels of silver, of a "threshing floor" on the mountain.
- Before buying an animal, visitors changed their Roman denarii (the dollar of the day) for shekels, or Temple coins, that had no portraits on them and so did not violate the .
- Beitar's fans may be right: the millions of shekels lavished on the Arab vote may be wasted, as they could be spent on new star players for Gaydamak's luckless team.
News & Articles
- Israeli court ruling marks new phase in IDB ownership battle
By Tova Cohen TEL AVIV (Reuters) - A Tel Aviv court set a late August deadline on Sunday for indebted Israeli conglomerate IDB Holding to sell its stake in an insurance firm, giving its chairman some breathing space in a bitter ownership battle. Many of the companies IDB owns have been hit by slowing economic growth and increased competition. IDB Holding owes bondholders 2 billion shekels ($550 ...
June 9, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- America a country of immigrants - LETTER TO THE EDITOR: June 8
It was to my complete surprise and many others that the word which won the spelling bee competition recently was no other than knaidel, a Yiddish word also known as matzoh ball, which is a Jewish delicacy served in chicken soup. And whereas this is served often in Jewish homes, I could bet a thousand shekels that it isn’t prevalent in the winner’s home being of Indian parentage. How he happened ...
June 8, 2013 - The Oakland Press
- Avigdor Lieberman in Reuters.uk
There is no point in hitting refugee camps or Beit Hanoun where they live on 10 shekels (about $2.50) a day ...... we should focus on those with something to lose,Lieberman said.
- Benjamin Netanyahu in Ynetnews
We're talking about some 30 billion shekels ($7.8 billion) over 10 to 15 years ...... This is quite manageable,Netanyahu said in February of plans to use road and rail infrastructure to push business and people outward from the Tel Aviv...
- Ehud Olmert in Earthtimes.org
There will be a (proposed) addition of millions of shekels to be allocated to Holocaust survivors,Olmert said, promising "there will not be any survivor who cannot live with dignity."