- v cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations
- v disturb the peace of mind of; afflict with mental agitation or distress
- v change the arrangement or position of
- v subject to prolonged examination, discussion, or deliberation
- v be a mystery or bewildering to
a vexing problem
- s extremely annoying or displeasing
- s causing irritation or annoyance
it is vexing to have to admit you are wrong
- If all Alan Turing had done was answer, in the negative, a vexing question in the arcane realm of mathematical logic, few nonspecialists today would have any reason to remember him .
- The emerging shortages demonstrate, again, how vexing it is for the outside world to deal with Kim Jong Il and his regime.
- It remains to be seen, of course, whether all the ecstatic political soteriology of his campaign can overcome the economic apocalypse Obama will inherit, along with a vexing list .
News & Articles
- From spiders, a material to rival Kevlar
Synthesizing spider thread?which is stronger than nylon and even some metals?has been a vexing problem. Until now.
June 14, 2013 - CNN Money
- Its approval rating at new low, Congress plows ahead on immigration, taxes
The approval rating for Congress has never been lower, a poll shows. Might that change as the 'the broken branch' of government makes bipartisan headway on vexing issues of immigration and tax reform?
June 14, 2013 - The Christian Science Monitor
- Registered sex offender allegedly beaches boat on Marina Bay Park in Richmond, outraging residents
A 1970s-era, 37-foot cabin cruiser has been shipwrecked on the shores of a popular Richmond Marina Bay park for weeks, outraging local residents and vexing police who have been unable to remove it.
June 14, 2013 - San Jose Mercury News
- Kevin Warsh in CEP News
Inflation has been elevated for some time and prices of commodities are surging. I find these trends particularly vexing at a time when global demand growth, most likely, has slowed,Warsh said in a speech in Washington entitled, 'Using the...
- Tom Lantos in International Herald Tribune
Supported by several Democrats on the committee and one Republican, Rep. Jim Leach, Lantos said, "The White House must try a new and bold approach to the vexing North Korean problem."
- Tom Brokaw in Cincinnati Post
This is a pretty resilient country,Brokaw says, but it's one with "lots of vexing hangover issues."