- n (Judeo-Christian and Islamic religions) chief spirit of evil and adversary of God; tempter of mankind; master of Hell
- n an evil supernatural being
- n a word used in exclamations of confusion
what the devil
- n a rowdy or mischievous person (usually a young man)
- n a cruel wicked and inhuman person
- v cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations
- v coat or stuff with a spicy paste
- They're six healthy Tasmanian devils, seemingly identical to the rest of their kind.
- Capitalism is the way of the devil and exploitation.
- In the search for the devil responsible for soaring food prices, the hunt turned last week to Chicago's grain pits.
News & Articles
- Kill Devil Hills approves beach nourishment permitting contract
Reviewing a permitting and design proposal from Coastal Planning and Engineering at the June 10 meeting of the Kill Devil Hills Board of Commissioners, Planning Director Greg Loy said, "This is really our first step, and if the board chooses to proceed with beach nourishment I suggest we move ahead with this post-haste."
June 26, 2013 - Outer Banks Sentinel
- Dare Devil Dash and Dark Side races canceled
BY LISA PAINE JAMS Media BROWN CITY — Runners in the area may already have heard the news, but for those who missed it, the annual Dare Devil Dash 5K Extreme race set for July 27 in Brown City has been canceled. Also off the slate is the night race, the Dark Side, which takes place in October. read more
June 26, 2013 - Sanilac County News
- Devil Dogs, Leathernecks begin their preparation
BRIDGEWATER — The Devil Dogs and Leathernecks held practice No. 1 Sunday night for the first Gunnery Sgt. John Basilone Bowl Friday night at Bridgewater-Raritan High School.
June 24, 2013 - MyCentralJersey.com
- Mike Huckabee in International Herald Tribune
WASHINGTON: Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, asks in an upcoming article, "Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?"
- Pat Robertson in New York Daily News (blog)
The televangelist Robertson's offending words during his program regarding the Haitians: "They said, 'We will serve you if you will get us free from the French.' True story," Robertson said. "And so, the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal.' "
- John McCain in The Swamp - Tribune's Washington Bureau (blog)
I heard that Senator Obama was showing some love to the Devil Rays down in Tampa Bay yesterday,McCain said in suburban Philadelphia. "Or the way he says he backs the middle class and then goes and attacks Joe the Plumber after he's asked a...