- n English businessman who created a retail chain (1888-1964)
- n a number or letter indicating quality (especially of a student's performance)
she made good marks in algebra
- n a distinguishing symbol
- n a reference point to shoot at
- n a visible indication made on a surface
some previous reader had covered the pages with dozens of marks
- n the impression created by doing something unusual or extraordinary that people notice and remember
- n a symbol of disgrace or infamy
- n formerly the basic unit of money in Germany
- n Apostle and companion of Saint Peter; assumed to be the author of the second Gospel
- n a person who is gullible and easy to take advantage of
- n a written or printed symbol (as for punctuation)
- n a perceptible indication of something not immediately apparent (as a visible clue that something has happened)
- n the shortest of the four Gospels in the New Testament
- n an indication of damage
- n a marking that consists of lines that cross each other
- n something that exactly succeeds in achieving its goal
- v attach a tag or label to
- v designate as if by a mark
This sign marks the border
- v be a distinctive feature, attribute, or trait; sometimes in a very positive sense
- v mark by some ceremony or observation
- v make or leave a mark on
- v to accuse or condemn or openly or formally or brand as disgraceful
- v notice or perceive
- v mark with a scar
- v make small marks into the surface of
- v establish as the highest level or best performance
- v make underscoring marks
- v remove from a list
- v put a check mark on or near or next to
- v assign a grade or rank to, according to one's evaluation
- v insert punctuation marks into
- The Russian-printed marks were distinguishable by a dash in front of the serial number.
- Punctuation marks are the road signs placed along the highway of our communication -- to control speeds, provide directions and prevent head-on collisions.
- Mark Halperin gives Mitt Romney the highest marks on a night that produced no gaffes, but also created no major shifts in the Presidential pecking order.
News & Articles
- Tereshkova marks 50 years of her historic flight
Tereshkova marks 50 years of her historic flight Associated Press Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Updated 12:04 pm, Friday, June 14, 2013 President Vladimir Putin praised her during a meeting at his residence Friday, marking the anniversary of her flight, which came a little more than two years ...
June 17, 2013 - seattlepi.com
- West Salem man marks retirement with a marathon run from work to home
Today marks Ted Gross's last day as a student adviser at the Chemeketa Community College.
June 17, 2013 - The Oregonian
- Bite marks derided as unreliable in court
At least 24 men convicted or charged with murder or rape based on bite marks on the flesh of victims have been exonerated since 2000. Now a judge’s ruling later this month could help end the practice for good.
June 17, 2013 - Seattle Times
- Barack Obama in Pacific Daily News
I don't want to pretend that today marks the end of our economic problems,Obama said yesterday.
- Amy Winehouse in FOXNews
The doctors have told her if she goes back to smoking drugs, it won't just ruin her voice, it will kill her,Mitch Winehouse told the Mirror. "There are nodules around the chest and dark marks. She has 70 percent lung capacity."
- Scott Stanzel in International Herald Tribune
Today marks an important milestone in the Iraqi people's efforts to replace the rule of a tyrant with the rule of law,deputy White House press secretary Scott Stanzel told reporters aboard Air Force One to Texas, where Bush was to meet this...