- n a soiled or discolored appearance
the wine left a dark stain
- n (microscopy) a dye or other coloring material that is used in microscopy to make structures visible
- n the state of being covered with unclean things
- n a symbol of disgrace or infamy
- n an act that brings discredit to the person who does it
- v color with a liquid dye or tint
people knew how to stain glass a beautiful blue in the middle ages
- v produce or leave stains
Red wine stains the table cloth
- v make dirty or spotty, as by exposure to air; also used metaphorically
- v color for microscopic study
- Guy it is pretty much always a guy in these ads, though Super Bowl audiences are half women answers a question at a job interview, but is drowned out by a stain on his .
- Then he announced, "I might hire youif you get that stain out of your dress.
- The starkly fascistic phrase was, in fact, a tagline for Castro, who Romney had, earlier in the same speech, declared "a stain on Cuban soil.
News & Articles
- Commentary: A veteran journalist restates the vows
Afflicted by the stain of printer's ink, I bridge noun and active-voice verb as a lifelong addiction. No heavy lifting, sweating or any other form of nine-to-five toil.
June 11, 2013 - The Alexandria Town Talk
- Homefix: Make sure the condensate drainpipe is not clogged
Q: Recently I noticed a stain on the ceiling in the hall on the first floor of my home. Because the home is a two-story design, I had no idea a leak could be in the middle of the hall, but there is no leak on the ceilings of the second-floor rooms. The stain is not under or near a bathroom, but there is a chimney to the furnace in a closet on the second floor. I checked the chimney and could not ...
June 10, 2013 - Fairport - East Rochester Post
- New Designer Stimulants Drugs Emerge As A Growing National Problem
Sold as bath salts, stain removers and other household products, new designer stimulants drugs also known as “bath salts”offer life threatening consequences for users. Detox centers such as Harbor Village provide step-by-step programs to address addiction to these new “designer” drugs. (PRWeb June 10, 2013) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/6/prweb10812891.htm
June 10, 2013 - PRWeb
- David Cameron in Herald Sun
He said: "The longer these questions remain unanswered the bigger the stain on this country that believes in freedom and human rights."
- Edward Kennedy in Scotsman
The Parliament is today here assembled to deal with this unfinished business of the nation, to remove a great stain from the nation's soul, and in a true spirit of reconciliation to open a new chapter in the history of this great land,... Kevin Rudd http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Rudd&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFR87s_UH5-PqadVdNSEDyNX5oZIA UNPO http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.unpo.org/article.php%3Fid%3D7585&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHxsGIjQpb20vlJh1Q5I4TVnyHe6Q Feb 13, 2008
93983 124936 stain Senator Edward Kennedy said: Unless Congress overrides the veto, it will go down in history as a flagrant insult to the rule of law and a stain on the good name of America in the world's eyes."