beaten : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v come out better in a competition, race, or conflict
- v give a beating to; subject to a beating, either as a punishment or as an act of aggression
- v hit repeatedly
- v move rhythmically
- v shape by beating
- v make a rhythmic sound
- v glare or strike with great intensity
- v move with a thrashing motion
- v sail with much tacking or with difficulty
- v stir vigorously
- v strike (a part of one's own body) repeatedly, as in great emotion or in accompaniment to music
- v be superior
- v avoid paying
- v make a sound like a clock or a timer
- v move with a flapping motion
- v indicate by beating, as with the fingers or drumsticks
- v move with or as if with a regular alternating motion
- v make by pounding or trampling
- v produce a rhythm by striking repeatedly
- v strike (water or bushes) repeatedly to rouse animals for hunting
- v beat through cleverness and wit
- v be a mystery or bewildering to
- v wear out completely
- a formed or made thin by hammering
- s much trodden and worn smooth or bare
did not stray from the beaten path
- A story about a little girl beaten black and blue.
- One CIA contractor, according to the CIA Inspector General, is alleged to have beaten an Afghan detainee to death with a large metal flashlight and his foot.
- In any case, many a general has bitterly rued the day he let a beaten enemy army get away to turn around and fight again.
News & Articles
- Lake Arrowhead woman seen being beaten before fatal crash had protective order
SAN BERNARDINO -- The woman eyewitnesses say was being beaten by the driver of a pick-up truck inside the vehicle just before a fatal collision Friday was granted a restraining order against him by a San Bernardino Court in March, according to court records.
June 12, 2013 - San Bernardino Sun
- Man beaten with brick, hospitalized
A 29-year-old man was found on Linden Avenue early Tuesday morning. His head was wrapped in a towel after he was reportedly beaten with a brick. Police responded to the 100 block of Linden at about 1:30 a.m. after a witness called in to report the assault. The man was found in a pool of blood just inside the front door. According to a Dayton police incident report, the man told police he had ...
June 11, 2013 - WHIO-TV 7 Dayton
- Sergio Garcia seems beaten down by his dustup with Tiger Woods -- and the game
Once a player of great promise, Sergio Garcia seems beaten down by the game -- and he certainly didn't have fun at Merion when he faced questions about his dustup with Tiger Woods. He needs to find the joy he had as a 19-year-old, writes Gary Van Sickle.
June 11, 2013 - Golf Magazine
- Boris Johnson in The Hindu
London's Tory Mayor Boris Johnson called for an end to "buck passing and name calling" telling the BBC: "It starts to become a matter of national concern if a great British company is being continually beaten up on the international...
- Joachim Loew in Washington Post
They are the masters of the game,Germany Coach Joachim Loew said of the Spaniards. "You can see it in every pass. They can hardly be beaten."
- Serena Williams in Sand Mountain Reporter
On paper it looks like I should win,Williams said. "But Vera, she's beaten some good people. Her last two matches she's been down a set, so she's obviously a fighter. She never gives up. The biggest thing for me is to stay positive and not...