- v take to be the case or to be true; accept without verification or proof
- v take on titles, offices, duties, responsibilities
- v take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect
She assumed strange manners
- v take on as one's own the expenses or debts of another person
- v occupy or take on
- v seize and take control without authority and possibly with force; take as one's right or possession
He assumed to himself the right to fill all positions in the town
- v make a pretence of
She assumed indifference, even though she was seething with anger
- v take up someone's soul into heaven
This is the day when May was assumed into heaven
- v put clothing on one's body
The queen assumed the stately robes
- s adopted in order to deceive
an assumed name
an assumed cheerfulness
- When Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, 50, and his wife Melinda, 41, were looking for ways to give away their prodigious wealth, they assumed that such monumental problems were .
- Reagan assumed change was possible and I thought so too.
- Both girls assumed they would go to college and pursue careers.
News & Articles
- Piloting the program
Col. Lance Bunch assumed command of the 80th Flying Training Wing at the end of March, and he said in his time as head of the wing, he has seen amazing community support and a dedicated coalition of member nations working to train the world’s best pilots in the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot training program.
June 12, 2013 - Wichita Falls Times Record News
- Assumed Names
Assumed Name: Dynamic DraftingOwner: Ashley RugglesAssumed Name: Kat's Quality Hair and AccessoriesOwner: Katherine ConnerAssumed Name: Wayne's Landscaping and MoreOwner: Katherine ConnerAssumed Name: The Whole Journey ShopOwner: Susan SextonAssumed Name: Party Time Games No. 3Owner: Derek HunterAssumed Name: Party Time Games No. 3Owner: Mai Rose-Marie Assumed Name: Sweet Katy GirlOwner ...
June 11, 2013 - Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
- Box office report: 'The Purge' takes in $36.4 million
Many assumed that the weekend before the debut of "Man of Steel" would be a calm one at the box office, but that was not the case. Universal's thriller "The Purge" surged into the top spot this weekend and shattered all expectations with a massive $36.4 million debut.
June 10, 2013 - CNN
- President Bush in KWTX
On August 9, 1974, after a long career in the House of Representatives and service as Vice President, he assumed the Presidency in an hour of national turmoil and division,Mr. Bush said.
- Elvis Costello in Yes, But, However! (blog)
If, as Costello currently maintains, "having your name added to a concert schedule may be interpreted as a political act that resonates more than anything that might be sung and it may be assumed that one has no mind for the suffering of the...
- Vladimir Putin in Forbes
We need to convince other (countries) to assume the same level of obligation as assumed by the Russian Federation and the United States,Putin said. "If we are unable to obtain such a goal ...... it will be difficult for us to keep within...