- v affect with wonder
- s filled with the emotional impact of overwhelming surprise or shock
astounded viewers wept at the pictures from the Oklahoma City bombing
- After Harvey Milk became the first openly gay man elected to any substantial political office in the history of the planet, thousands of astounded people wrote to him.
- Spitzer's Superbia had rankled old and new in Albany, certainly the Republican majority in the statehouse, but also many Democrats who were astounded at his prickly partisanship .
- The extent of Sarit's amorous activities astounded even philanderophile Thais.
News & Articles
- '100 to 1 Odds': Man Survives 15-Story Fall in New Zealand
Doctor 'astounded,' says only 10 percent would survive a seven-story fall.
June 18, 2013 - Good Morning America via Yahoo! News
- 20-Year-Old Survives 15-Story Fall
Emergency room doctors say they are 'astounded'; 99 percent of people would die in a seven-story fall. Height, surface where the victim lands and the part of the body that hits ground first are the best prognosticators for survival.
June 17, 2013 - ABC News
- Clip the Agency's Wings
To Protect and Defend... When asked last September if he personally chose which individual terrorist suspects could be targeted with lethal force, President Barack Obama gave a response that would have astounded the founding fathers: "What is absolutely true is that my first job, my most sacred duty, as president and commander in chief, is to keep the American people safe."
June 17, 2013 - Foreign Relations
- Jerry Lewis in Washington Post
Each year I tell myself, 'This has got to be it. There's no way we can do better.' Then, the following year, I'm astounded to see that generosity driven by love and compassion has a greater capacity than I thought possible,Lewis said. "I...
- Jacques Piccard in FOXNews
By far the most interesting find was the fish that came floating by our porthole,Piccard said of the dive. "We were astounded to find higher marine life forms down there at all."
- Martin McGuinness in Guardian Unlimited
McGuinness said they had "astounded the skeptics" and would govern Northern Ireland for the good of both sides of the community.