stunned : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v make senseless or dizzy by or as if by a blow
- v hit something or somebody as if with a sandbag
- v overcome as with astonishment or disbelief
The news stunned her
- s filled with the emotional impact of overwhelming surprise or shock
stood in stunned silence
stunned scientists found not one but at least three viruses
- s knocked unconscious by a heavy blow
- s in a state of mental numbness especially as resulting from shock
lay semiconscious, stunned (or stupefied) by the blow
- Beyond the verbal gaffes during both of his presidential campaigns, Biden stunned his supporters, and delighted his opponents, during the Supreme Court confirmation hearings of .
- Lowe was stunned by his reception and left at 1:30 in the morning, after a convivial drink and the promise of more work ahead.
- Using the intricate details Armistead provided, Lafayette and a stunned, but relieved George Washington lay siege to the town.
News & Articles
- In box of decorations, a cry for help from a Chinese labor camp
An Oregon woman was stunned when she opened Halloween decorations sold at Kmart last year and found a message from 5,000 miles away describing the horrors of a prison labor camp in China. The apparent writer was recently tracked down.
June 12, 2013 - Seattle Times
- Dracut selectmen set meeting to consider reducing override
DRACUT -- Taking an action that stunned Dracut's School Committee chairman and other backers of a nearly $3 million Proposition 2 1/2 override for the schools, Selectmen Chairwoman Cathy Richardson and Selectman Joe DiRocco won the board's approval
June 12, 2013 - Lowell Sun
- Fergie decision stunned RvP
Manchester United striker Robin van Persie admits Sir Alex Ferguson's decision to slip into retirement left him stunned. Ferguson brought the curtain down on a glittering spell in the Old Trafford hot-seat with a 13th Premier League title in 2012/13.
June 9, 2013 - Soccer365
- Barack Obama in Cincinnati.com (blog)
During a town hall rally in Wisconsin, the president said he was "stunned to hear the leader of the Republicans in the House say that financial reform was like using a nuclear weapon to target an ant."
- Andy Roddick in The Press Association
I don't think stunned is the right word,Roddick said. "I don't view what happened as an impossibility. I don't know. I always struggle with how to describe my mood. I'm sure you can use your intuition and reach out and find something. He...
- Sandra Bullock in MTV.com (blog)
I am beyond stunned,Bullock said in a statement. "Just to be included in the company of these amazing women I have so admired thru the years, has left me slack jawed with awe. It is TRULY an honor just to be nominated by the Hollywood...