fixings : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n food that is a component of a mixture in cooking
the recipe lists all the fixings for a salad
- n the accessories that normally accompany (something or some activity)
an elaborate formal dinner with all the fixings
- n the act of putting something in working order again
- n restraint that attaches to something or holds something in place
- n the sterilization of an animal
- n (histology) the preservation and hardening of a tissue sample to retain as nearly as possible the same relations they had in the living body
- v restore by replacing a part or putting together what is torn or broken
- v cause to be firmly attached
- v decide upon or fix definitely
- v prepare for eating by applying heat
- v take vengeance on or get even
- v set or place definitely
- v kill, preserve, and harden (tissue) in order to prepare for microscopic study
- v make fixed, stable or stationary
- v make infertile
- v influence an event or its outcome by illegal means
- v put (something somewhere) firmly
- v make ready or suitable or equip in advance for a particular purpose or for some use, event, etc
- Whistler's mother seems like she just sat down after killing, plucking and roasting a turkey with all the fixings.
- Some of the fixings : a sun room overlooking Long Island Sound, ten-car garage, six-room gatehouse, terraced gardens, tennis court, oval swimming pool, five horse stalls .
- Jenny and her friends were careful to avoid high-fat, calorie-laden fare at the salad bar, but for those who don't exercise restraint, salad-bar fixings can become vegetarian junk .
News & Articles
- Bar and grill to top First National
Burgers, beer, steaks and all the fixings are headed to downtown Vicksburg this fall as a prime attraction atop a renovated First National Bank building.
June 9, 2013 - The Vicksburg Post
- Crystal Lake Beach Club in Oakland to serve fish and chips
Crystal Lake Beach Club will hold a fish and chips family dinner from 4-6 p.m. Saturday, June 8, at the beach club, 61 Lakeshore Drive. The rain date for the dinner is June 15. Tickets are $12 per person and include a cod filet dinner, french fries, coleslaw and a beverage, catered by Tastefully British. Dinner will be made fresh to order with all the fixings available. A chicken tender ...
June 6, 2013 - The Record
- Ming Tsai in Boston Globe
I don't want to say turkey's boring,Ming Tsai says, "but it's not the most ebullient piece of protein out there. Thanksgiving's all about the fixings, anyway. The typical roasted plastic-pop-up thing needs help."