- n a long narrow inlet of the sea between steep cliffs; common in Norway
- The ice fjord is bordered by tall walls of rock that rise on either side of the ice floe, carved, like much else in Greenland, by the glaciers.
- As Jakobshavn gives way to the fjord, a stadium-size iceberg suddenly implodes, disintegrating like a collapsing skyscraper.
- From the deep, cold, green-black waters of Norway's longest fjord, the questions kept coming.
News & Articles
- US Charges Edward Snowden With Espionage
cold fjord writes "Further developments in the controversy engulfing Edward Snowden and the NSA. From the Washington Post: "Federal prosecutors have filed a sealed criminal complaint against Edward Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor who leaked a trove of documents about top-secret surveillance programs, and the United States has asked Hong Kong to detain him on a provisional ...
June 21, 2013 - Slashdot
- Bear of the Day: Statoil ASA (STO)
This Norwegian oil stock may be stuck in a fjord given its poor outlook for growth in the near term.
June 21, 2013 - Zacks via Yahoo! Finance
- Officials Say NSA Probed Fewer Than 300 Numbers - Broke Plots In 20 Nations
cold fjord writes "Yet more details about the controversy engulfing the NSA. From CNET: 'Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Mich.), chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, explained how the program worked without violating individuals' civil rights. "We take the business records by a court order, and it's just phone numbers — no names, no addresses — put it in a lock box," Rogers told CBS News' "Face The ...
June 17, 2013 - Slashdot
- King Harald V in International Herald Tribune
Innermost in the Oslo Fjord, the opera house rises as a new and monumental landmark,said King Harald in declaring the opera open. "This house for many generations to come will be filled with music, dance and song."
- Morten Rasmussen in AFP
Everyone wants to save the whale of the Vejle fjord but no-one can. Everyone can save the thousands of whales brutally killed each year but no-one wants to,said Morten Rasmussen.
- Edvard Munch in Ventura County Star (subscription)
Edvard Munch said he painted his famous work, "The Scream," after "the sky turned blood red there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city."