- n a fricative sound (especially as an expression of disapproval)
- n a complete failure
- v end weakly
- With the fizzle of a damp firecracker, the great airmail uproar of 1934 finally petered out last week with passage by Congress of the Administration's Air Mail Bill virtually.
- Noah Baumbach thinks he's funny, though his intermittent gags fizzle painfully.
- The French sent armored columns to smash the fellagha, and the revolt seemed to fizzle out.
News & Articles
- U.S. Open report
Furyk suffers major fizzle in home state ARDMORE, Pa. — Jim Furyk looked forward to playing in the U.S. Open at Merion Golf Club, near his former hometown of Lancaster, but finished up an abbreviated trip Friday with the worst 36-hole score he’s ever carded in an Open.
June 15, 2013 - Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
- Loggers’ rally comes up short
The La Crosse Loggers’ bid for a perfect homestand ended with a fizzle Thursday night.
June 14, 2013 - La Crosse Tribune
- Editorial: Bloomberg wrong and right on big sodas
As Mayor Michael Bloomberg fights in appellate court to impose a ban on large sugary soft drinks in the city, we're hoping his high-profile public-health initiative continues to sputter and fizzle.
June 11, 2013 - amNewYork
- Phil Garner in Sports Network
I think it was vintage Maddux and I'll leave it at that,said Houston manager Phil Garner. "I mean the Maddux from a few years back. We put ourselves in a position to have a nice streak here but we let it fizzle. It was a well played game...
- Carson Palmer in Springfield News Sun
My wife kept telling me I should try the genre. I had never done horror before. It's believed in the trade that horror films open well and then soon fizzle out. But then it was also believed that a film looking at the seamier side of cricket... Emraan Hashmi http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emraan_Hashmi&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFHs6OVFMkiODe5uPrzPt97bSMwIA Hindu http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/009200901291082.htm&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEDXWCkjOlZ79MWOHi_Ar9q20B2AA Jan 28, 2009
37858 49074 fizzle I think it's a lot of hype early," Palmer said. "Just like every year, there's hype around one or two teams early. It'll fizzle out once they start playing games."