hiss : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a fricative sound (especially as an expression of disapproval)
the performers could not be heard over the hissing of the audience
- n a cry or noise made to express displeasure or contempt
- v make a sharp hissing sound, as if to show disapproval
- v move with a whooshing sound
- v express or utter with a hiss
- v show displeasure, as after a performance or speech
News & Articles
- The Provocative Évocateur: An Interview with Seth Kramer and Daniel L. Miller
When I’d happen upon Morton Downey Jr.’s vile and venomous talk show in the late eighties, I’d have a hard time switching channels. I’d want to hiss, boo, or throw things at the screen, just as you wanted to do watching the dirtiest wrestler when you were a kid and didn’t realize it was all [...]
June 14, 2013 - The Sag Harbor Express
- Alumnus wins science fiction contest
The universe is awaiting colonization, but distant planets are already buzzing with life and the hiss of danger is audible.
June 14, 2013 - The Purdue Exponent
- Montgomery Zoo man eats hissing cockroach on live TV
Live talk shows are always a tad bit unpredictable - but when you throw WSFA 12 News' Judd Davis, Montgomery Zoo representatives, and hissing bugs together on camera - things get taken to the next level.
June 13, 2013 - FOX 6 News Birmingham
- Joseph Wilson in ktla 5
Convicting him of perjury was like convicting Al Capone of tax evasion or Alger Hiss of perjury,Wilson said. "It doesn't mean they were not guilty of other crimes."
- Warren Gatland in Turkish Press
Wales is the sleeping giant of world rugby and I want to put in the right structures and processes to make sure we achieve our full potential,Gatland said. "It is not my style to hiss and roar at the start so I will initially be doing a...
- Kai Bird in Forbes
In a telephone interview, Bird said that more research would be required to prove that Foote was Ales but that "he fits the itinerary in every way, and Hiss simply does not."