- n (logic) a proposition that is accepted as true in order to provide a basis for logical reasoning
- v put (something somewhere) firmly
She posited her hand on his shoulder
deposit the suitcase on the bench
- v put before
- v take as a given; assume as a postulate or axiom
He posited three basic laws of nature
- For example, they posit the scandalous possibility that pictures of Princess Margaret, engaging in a threesome on a Caribbean island have been stored in one of the boxes by a .
- The radio play itself became a textbook example of mass hysteria: in 1940, Princeton psychologist Hadley Cantril used an analysis of listeners' reactions to posit that social .
- Benjamin Franklin a spy? The very idea seems ludicrous; one might as well posit that George Washington abandoned Long Island in a deliberate attempt to subvert the American .
News & Articles
- Danville artist opens exhibit on fracking
A Danville artist is taking on the controversial topic of fracking with a new photography exhibit. Robb Bomboy opened the "Shale Perception" exhibit June 1 at the Gettysburg campus of Harrisburg Area Community College, and he said response has been posit
June 9, 2013 - The Pottsville Republican & Herald
- Austria withdrawing its UN Peacekeepers from Golan
VIENNA (AP) — Austria announced on Thursday that it is withdrawing the country's 377 U.N. peacekeepers from the Golan Heights after the Syrian conflict briefly spilled over to an area near their posit
June 6, 2013 - Idaho Press-Tribune
- Tom Lantos in Washington Post
Those who posit that all of the 'comfort women' were happily complicit and acting of their own accord simply do not understand the meaning of the word rape,added Lantos, a Holocaust survivor.
- John Paul Stevens in Politico (blog)
This is not a hard case,Stevens wrote in a concurring opinion. "Any burden on speech that petitioners posit is speculative as well as indirect. ......Debates about tax policy and regulation of private property can become just as heated as...
- V Gene Robinson in Boston Globe (registration)
Later Robinson said: "Those who would posit the nuclear family as the be-all and end-all of God's creation probably don't find that much in the Gospels to support that. On the other hand, I happen to think the traditional family is a wonderful...