limit : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the greatest possible degree of something
to the limit of his ability
- n final or latest limiting point
- n as far as something can go
- n the boundary of a specific area
- n the mathematical value toward which a function goes as the independent variable approaches infinity
- n the greatest amount of something that is possible or allowed
there are limits on the amount you can bet
it is growing rapidly with no limitation in sight
- v place limits on (extent or access)
limit the time you can spend with your friends
- v restrict or confine, "I limit you to two visits to the pub a day"
- v decide upon or fix definitely
- Michael Bloomberg's attempt to amend New York City's mayoral term limits revisits a long, robust debate on the controversial topic.
- Senator John Warner wants to enforce a national speed limit as an answer to soaring gas prices.
- By winning a referendum Sunday that will end presidential term limits, President Chavez will be allowed to run for re-election indefinitely.
News & Articles
- MoDOT to lower speed limit on U.S. 63
Beginning Wednesday, the speed limit on U.S. 63 south of Vienna will be reduced to 60 mph, based on a recent comprehensive speed and traffic study.
June 17, 2013 - Jefferson City News Tribune
- Traffic Q&A: DUIs can be given to those below legal limit
I know of an acquaintance who, after a couple beers, got pulled over and blew a 0.075 (just under the legal limit) and he was still given a DUI and his truck was impounded. Can cops give out DUIs even if you don’t go over the legal limit?– Kari, Tacoma
June 17, 2013 - Tacoma News Tribune
- Iowa Cities Bypass State to Limit Payday Lenders
Efforts to limit payday lenders in Iowa have repeatedly failed in the Legislature, but more cities are approving zoning changes that make it harder to open the businesses.
June 16, 2013 - WOWT Omaha
- Teixeira in National
If Sao Paulo wants to host the opening game or the competition as a whole, the deadline is getting close,Teixeira said. "Cape Town built [Green Point Stadium] in two-and-a-half years, so we are dangerously close to the limit. The issue...
- Ben Bernanke in Reuters
Although we in the United States are taking many extraordinary measures to ease the crisis, we are not pursuing policies that would limit the flow of goods, services or capital, as such measures would only intensify the risks of a prolonged... Henry Paulson http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Paulson&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFunf9jqAG4PIOWvnV9rZ6KE6zAlQ FOXNews http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Oct12/0,4670,FinancialMeltdown,00.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGncV66xOgUqvLTABmPqZ3XpeLrgg Oct 12, 2008
58389 77722 limit The committee continues to monitor the situation and will act as needed to limit the adverse effects on the broader economy that may arise from the disruptions in financial markets," Bernanke said in a speech to a symposium in Jackson Hole,...