- n the act of overcoming or outdoing
- n the act of inflicting corporal punishment with repeated blows
- v come out better in a competition, race, or conflict
- v give a beating to; subject to a beating, either as a punishment or as an act of aggression
- v hit repeatedly
- v move rhythmically
Her heart was beating fast
- v shape by beating
- v make a rhythmic sound
- v glare or strike with great intensity
The sun was beating down on us
- v move with a thrashing motion
- v sail with much tacking or with difficulty
- v stir vigorously
- v strike (a part of one's own body) repeatedly, as in great emotion or in accompaniment to music
- v be superior
- v avoid paying
- v make a sound like a clock or a timer
- v move with a flapping motion
- v indicate by beating, as with the fingers or drumsticks
- v move with or as if with a regular alternating motion
- v make by pounding or trampling
- v produce a rhythm by striking repeatedly
- v strike (water or bushes) repeatedly to rouse animals for hunting
- v beat through cleverness and wit
- v be a mystery or bewildering to
- v wear out completely
- Once the four officers accused in the beating were acquitted a year later by a predominantly white jury in the majority white suburb of Simi Valley, all that rage turned into the .
- One of the men who took part in the Reginald Denny beating.
- And the agency, headed by Doug Elmendorf, has taken a beating by Dems and outside groups for refusing to score savings that an emphasis on prevention might bring about and, as the .
News & Articles
- Louisiana Refunds Market-Beating Tobacco Bonds: Muni Deal
Louisiana is refinancing $638 million in bonds backed by tobacco company payments as such debt is beating the broader $3.7 trillion muni market this year.
June 24, 2013 - Bloomberg
- 3 teens due in court in NCH beating case
Several teenagers who are accused in the brutal beating of a North College Hill man last summer are expected to find out their punishment Monday.
June 24, 2013 - WCPO Cincinnati
- Second arrest in postal beating
The Yuba City Police Department arrested a second suspect in last week's beating of a postal worker, authorities said Sunday. Joseph R. Navarro-Thompson, 18, described on the Sutter County Jail website as 6 feet 4 inches tall, and weighing 435 pounds, was arrested Saturday afternoon on...
June 24, 2013 - Appeal-Democrat
- Bert van Marwijk in The Associated Press
Often when we start beating people, we become overly confident and then we are sent home,Van Marwijk said. "We did lose the match whereas we should have won it because we played wonderfully well."
- Alexander Litvinenko in Independent
In a statement released yesterday, Mr Litvinenko wrote: "As I lie here, I can distinctly hear the beating wings of the angel of death. I may be able to give him the slip, but I have to say my legs do not run as fast as I would like."
- Roger Federer in New York Times
I know that Rafa deserves it obviously more than I do this year,Federer said. "But somebody had to do it, so I'm very happy that they chose me, of course. Gets your heart beating, that's for sure."