- n a mine or quarry that is being or has been worked
- v exert oneself by doing mental or physical work for a purpose or out of necessity
- v be employed
Is your husband working again?
- v have an effect or outcome; often the one desired or expected
- v perform as expected when applied
- v shape, form, or improve a material
- v give a workout to
- v proceed along a path
- v operate in a certain place, area, or specialty
- v proceed towards a goal or along a path or through an activity
She was working on her second martini when the guests arrived
- v move in an agitated manner
- v cause to happen or to occur as a consequence
- v cause to work
he is working his servants hard
- v prepare for crops
- v behave in a certain way when handled
- v have and exert influence or effect
- v operate in or through
- v cause to operate or function
- v provoke or excite
- v gratify and charm, usually in order to influence
- v make something, usually for a specific function
- v move into or onto
- v make uniform
- v use or manipulate to one's advantage
- v find the solution to (a problem or question) or understand the meaning of
- v cause to undergo fermentation
- v go sour or spoil
- v arrive at a certain condition through repeated motion
- s actively engaged in paid work
the working population
the ratio of working men to unemployed
a working mother
- s adequate for practical use; especially sufficient in strength or numbers to accomplish something
the party has a working majority in the House
a working knowledge of Spanish
- s adopted as a temporary basis for further work
a working draft
a working hypothesis
- s (of e.g. a machine) performing or capable of performing
in running (or working) order
- s serving to permit or facilitate further work or activity
discussed the working draft of a peace treaty
they need working agreements with their neighbor states on interstate projects
- Why are today's mothers working so hard, putting in long hours at home and at the office? For the money.
- A survey of working parents suggests that their busy workplace schedules are a major cause of unhealthy eating habits -- both for themselves and their children.
- Detroit is a working town.
- Lindsay Lohan in NECN
I did do everything that I was told to do and did the best I could to balance jobs and show up,she said. "I wasn't missing the classes just to hang out and do anything like that. I was working mostly in Morocco -- the trip I was working...
- Joe Barton in The Associated Press
Rep. Ed Markey disagreed, saying it was "not a slush fund, not a shakedown. ...... It was the government of the United States working to protect the most vulnerable citizens that we have in our country right now, the residents of the Gulf."
- Barack Obama in msnbc.com
We've all seen what happens when there is inadequate oversight and insufficient transparency on Wall Street,said President Barack Obama. "The reforms working their way through Congress will hold Wall Street accountable so we can help...