- n a state of agitation or turbulent change or development
the political ferment produced new leadership
- n a substance capable of bringing about fermentation
- n a process in which an agent causes an organic substance to break down into simpler substances; especially, the anaerobic breakdown of sugar into alcohol
- v be in an agitated or excited state
The Middle East is fermenting
Her mind ferments
- v work up into agitation or excitement
Islam is fermenting Africa
- v cause to undergo fermentation
We ferment the grapes for a very long time to achieve high alcohol content
- v go sour or spoil
- For a month he waits patiently for the juice to ferment and turn into a wine.
- Now she is poised to begin a whole new life of ferment as Secretary of State.
- WASHINGTON: What exactly is biological warfare equipment, anyway? Since bio-weapons can be made in a beer fermenter, reports that Russia may have sold biological warfare equipment .
News & Articles
- Beers of summer
To ferment lagers during the Middle Ages, German brewers would stow casks in caves across the hinterlands to exploit the dry, cold environs within – or, as Orlandoans mired in the sweltering Central Florida summer might describe that setting, “Heaven.” Cold beer has long been a useful weapon to combat torpid July afternoons, even in the olden days, but unless you can hop in a time machine ...
June 25, 2013 - Orlando Weekly
- County apple growers look to add hard cider crop
The press is on for cider production in Henderson County. Several local entrepreneurs plan to ferment county apples into hard cider for a thirsty buying public, while other area apple growers look forward to sourcing their crop to a growing craft beverage market.
June 19, 2013 - The Hendersonville Times-News
- John Negroponte in Washington Post
What is not known is whether people are holding back _ maybe we're not seeing the kind of the ferment yet that one might expect to see once Mr. Castro has definitively departed the scene,said Negroponte, who has been nominated by President...
- Annie Proulx in Globe and Mail
Academy members who vote for the year's best film are "out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city," Proulx writes.
- Barack Obama in Africasia
I think it's important to understand that although there is amazing ferment taking place in Iran, the difference ...... between Ahmadinejad and Mousavi in terms of their actual policies may not be as great as advertised,Obama said. "I...