- n the state of an engine or other mechanism that is idling
the car engine was running at idle
- v run disconnected or idle
- v be idle; exist in a changeless situation
- a not in action or at work
an idle laborer
the idle rich
an idle mind
- s without a basis in reason or fact
- s not in active use
the machinery sat idle during the strike
- s silly or trivial
light idle chatter
- s lacking a sense of restraint or responsibility
- s not yielding a return
- s not having a job
- If enough users volunteer their idle computer time to index the Web, hundreds of thousands of PCs could possibly match the indexing power of first-tier search engines such as Google.
- Far from posing idle brain teasers, her research might solve one of physics' great mysteriesnamely, why gravity is so weak in contrast to electromagnetism and other forces.
- The retired Barkley has apparently become one of the idle rich, with nothing to do but call Wade over and over again to ask such urgent questions as, "You like popsicles?".
News & Articles
- Volkswagen Eos Reviews
DSG dual mass flywheel plate rattling on idle. Front wheel bearing. Cruise control will not stay at 70mph or above - it's all over the place. The garage replaced the ECU & throttle body, but still faulty.
June 25, 2013 - Carsurvey.org
- Striking a balance when planning kids' summer activities
It can be challenging for parents to find the right balance of activity and free time for their kids over the summer. We want our children to enjoy summer vacation, but for some, too much idle time can lead to boredom. As much as I would love to think that swimming in our pool and playing with Legos will be enough entertainment for my son, I know better.
June 24, 2013 - The San Angelo Standard-Times
- Taking advantage of natural gas boom
GARDNER and#8212; Inside Building 28 at the state prison off Route 140 hangs a giant coal hopper, an idle remnant of the days when combustible rocks fed into boilers were used to warm buildings.
June 24, 2013 - Worcester Telegram & Gazette
- Barack Obama in Toronto Star
I face the world as it is, and cannot stand idle in the face of threats to the American people,Obama said in the speech, formally known as the Nobel Lecture. "To say that force may sometimes be necessary is not a call to cynicism. It is a...
- Wyclef Jean in ABC News
Haiti today faced a natural disaster of unprecedented proportion, an earthquake unlike anything the country has ever experienced,Jean wrote on the Yele Web site. "I cannot stress enough what a human disaster this is, and idle hands will...
- Simon Crean in PerthNow
I do not support any leadership challenge,Mr Crean said. "Any loose talk or idle speculation on this matter is counterproductive. I urge solidarity behind the leader. I support Kevin as the Leader."