- n (American football) a play in which a player attempts to carry the ball through or past the opposing team
the coach put great emphasis on running
- n the act of running; traveling on foot at a fast pace
- n the state of being in operation
the engine is running smoothly
- n the act of administering or being in charge of something
he has responsibility for the running of two companies at the same time
- n the act of participating in an athletic competition involving running on a track
- v move fast by using one's feet, with one foot off the ground at any given time
- v flee; take to one's heels; cut and run
- v stretch out over a distance, space, time, or scope; run or extend between two points or beyond a certain point
- v direct or control; projects, businesses, etc.
She is running a relief operation in the Sudan
- v have a particular form
- v move along, of liquids
- v perform as expected when applied
- v change or be different within limits
- v run, stand, or compete for an office or a position
Who's running for treasurer this year?
- v cause to emit recorded audio or video
- v move about freely and without restraint, or act as if running around in an uncontrolled way
who are these people running around in the building?
- v have a tendency or disposition to do or be something; be inclined
- v be operating, running or functioning
The car is still running--turn it off!
- v change from one state to another
- v cause to perform
- v be affected by; be subjected to
- v continue to exist
- v occur persistently
- v carry out a process or program, as on a computer or a machine
- v include as the content; broadcast or publicize
- v carry out
- v pass over, across, or through
- v cause something to pass or lead somewhere
- v make without a miss
- v deal in illegally, such as arms or liquor
- v cause an animal to move fast
- v be diffused
- v sail before the wind
- v cover by running; run a certain distance
- v extend or continue for a certain period of time
- v set animals loose to graze
- v keep company
- v run with the ball; in such sports as football
- v travel rapidly, by any (unspecified) means
- v travel a route regularly
- v pursue for food or sport (as of wild animals)
The dogs are running deer
- v compete in a race
he is running the Marathon this year
- v progress by being changed
- v reduce or cause to be reduced from a solid to a liquid state, usually by heating
- v come unraveled or undone as if by snagging
Her nylons were running
- v become undone
- a (of fluids) moving or issuing in a stream
as mountain stream with freely running water
hovels without running water
- s continually repeated over a period of time
a running joke among us
- a of advancing the ball by running
the team's running plays worked better than its pass plays
- a executed or initiated by running
running plays worked better than pass plays
took a running jump
a running start
- s measured lengthwise
cost of lumber per running foot
- s (of e.g. a machine) performing or capable of performing
in running (or working) order
- Writer Chris McDougall, above the rim of the Sierra Madre Canyon, where the Tarahumara have made their home for centuries Anyone can do running.
- Some of Clinton's own strategists are doubtful that Obama will offer to make her his running mate in no small part because that would mean bringing Bill aboard.
- The first world championship of free running fuels debate over the sport's soul and just how.
News & Articles
- Running in red
Town of Union, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Running can be great exercise. Wednesday at Maine-Endwell High School some people were doing just that, but with style.
June 20, 2013 - WBNG Binghamton
- Running For The Wells 10k/6k
5th Annual Running For The Wells 10k/6k presented by Injinji Performance Toe Socks with support from the Operation Jack Foundation will be on Saturday, September 7, 2013 at Sports Basement (601 Old Mason St., San Francisco, CA) in the beautiful San Francisco Presidio in San Francisco, CA at 9:00 am. Cost: $40 before 7/31, $45 before 9/5 and $50 on Race Day.
June 19, 2013 - WPXI Pittsburgh
- Running ends with Tasing
Running didn’t get Jesse McNamara anywhere, Lake Hallie Police said. McNamara wound up being hit by a Taser and arrested for resisting arrest and a probation hold.
June 18, 2013 - The Chippewa Herald
- Barack Obama in Newsweek
I understand how easy it is for this town to become consumed in the game of politics, to turn every issue into a running tally of who's up and who's down,Obama said in his opening remarks.
- Larry King in SmarTrend News
The 76-year-old announced the decision on his blog: "I want to share some personal news with you," King wrote. "I'm incredibly proud that we recently made the Guinness Book of World Records for having the longest-running show with the same...
- Robert Byrd in The Hindu
Byrd's foster father was a miner who frequently changed jobs, and Byrd recalled that the family's house was "without electricity, ...... no running water, no telephone, a little wooden outhouse."