look : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the feelings expressed on a person's face
a look of triumph
- n the act of directing the eyes toward something and perceiving it visually
he went out to have a look
his look was fixed on her eyes
he gave it a good looking at
his camera does his looking for him
- n physical appearance
I don't like the looks of this place
- n the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people
- v perceive with attention; direct one's gaze towards
She looked over the expanse of land
- v give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect
This project looks fishy
- v have a certain outward or facial expression
How does she look?
The child looks unhappy
She looked pale after the surgery
- v search or seek
We looked all day and finally found the child in the forest
- v be oriented in a certain direction, often with respect to another reference point; be opposite to
The house looks north
My backyard look onto the pond
- v take charge of or deal with
- v convey by one's expression
She looked her devotion to me
- v look forward to the probable occurrence of
She is looking to a promotion
- v accord in appearance with
You don't look your age!
- v have faith or confidence in
- More boomers are working into their senior years, and who wants to look like the office geezer?.
- Generations of American males surreptitiously added inches to their height by wearing Adler elevatorsordinary-looking shoes that contained hidden built-in platforms.
- A study of identical twins reveals the myriad environmental factors that make us look older or, less frequently, younger than our age.
- Barack Obama in BusinessWeek
Obama said the Arizona law has "the potential of violating the rights of innocent American citizens and legal residents, making them subject to possible stops or questioning, because of what they look like, or how they sound."
- Joe Johnson in The Associated Press
Staying in Atlanta provides the best opportunity to win today and in the future,he said. "My five years with the Hawks have been the best of my career, and I look forward to my teammates and I trying to reach our ultimate goal together,...
- Miroslav Klose in Austin American-Statesman
They have been playing together for several years, they are very cohesive, their moves come automatically,German striker Miroslav Klose said. "They made us look passive."