- n the quality of a person's voice
he began in a conversational tone
he spoke in a nervous tone of voice
- n (linguistics) a pitch or change in pitch of the voice that serves to distinguish words in tonal languages
the Beijing dialect uses four tones
- n (music) the distinctive property of a complex sound (a voice or noise or musical sound)
the muffled tones of the broken bell summoned them to meet
- n the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people
a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting
- n a quality of a given color that differs slightly from another color
- n a notation representing the pitch and duration of a musical sound
- n a steady sound without overtones
they tested his hearing with pure tones of different frequencies
- n the elastic tension of living muscles, arteries, etc. that facilitate response to stimuli
- n a musical interval of two semitones
- n the quality of something (an act or a piece of writing) that reveals the attitudes and presuppositions of the author
the general tone of articles appearing in the newspapers is that the government should withdraw
from the tone of her behavior I gathered that I had outstayed my welcome
- v utter monotonously and repetitively and rhythmically
- v vary the pitch of one's speech
- v change the color or tone of
tone a negative
- v change to a color image
tone a photographic image
- v give a healthy elasticity to
Let's tone our muscles
- But if real-tone songs catch on, firms like Jippii and Jamba! could well find themselves out of business.
- A new study from researchers at Beth Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School suggests that tone-deafness may be the result of a missing neural connection.
- According to technical experts consulted by PTI, the 18 minutes of steady tone overriding conversation on a presidential recording raises the possibility that the noise was .
News & Articles
- Tone® Body Wash Partners With Karmin
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., June 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Tone® Body Wash is partnering with pop duo Karmin for the Tone® Turn it Up!® series this summer, in conjunction with the introduction of new Tone® Ocean ...
June 12, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Man Of Steel Review (MovieMantz)
The super-serious tone robs "Man of Steel" from being the rousing, awe-inspiring and exciting good time that it should be.
June 12, 2013 - Access Hollywood via Yahoo! News
- Base hair color on skin tone, eyes: Style Q&A
If you want to become superblond, make sure it will complement your skin tone and eyes.
June 12, 2013 - The Cleveland Plain Dealer
- Barack Obama in Press Trust of India
Referring to the statements coming from Iranian leadership, Obama said: "I'm very concerned, based on some of the tenor and tone of the statements that have been made, that the government of Iran recognises that the world is watching."
- Randy Neugebauer in Los Angeles Times
In a statement, Neugebauer said, "The House chamber is a place of decorum and respect. The timing and tone of my comment last night was inappropriate."
- Jeff Sessions in TIME
I'm just a little taken aback by the tone of your remarks, because it's unconnected to reality,Sessions said. "I know what happened at Harvard. I know you were an outspoken leader against the military policy. I know you acted without legal...