step : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n any maneuver made as part of progress toward a goal
the police took steps to reduce crime
- n the distance covered by a step
he stepped off ten paces from the old tree and began to dig
- n the act of changing location by raising the foot and setting it down
he walked with unsteady steps
- n support consisting of a place to rest the foot while ascending or descending a stairway
he paused on the bottom step
- n relative position in a graded series
always a step behind
keep in step with the fashions
- n a short distance
it's only a step to the drugstore
- n the sound of a step of someone walking
he heard footsteps on the porch
- n a musical interval of two semitones
- n a mark of a foot or shoe on a surface
- n a solid block joined to the beams in which the heel of a ship's mast or capstan is fixed
- n a sequence of foot movements that make up a particular dance
he taught them the waltz step
- v shift or move by taking a step
- v put down or press the foot, place the foot
step on the brake
- v cause (a computer) to execute a single command
- v treat badly
She is always stepping on others to get ahead
- v furnish with steps
The architect wants to step the terrace
- v move with one's feet in a specific manner
- v walk a short distance to a specified place or in a specified manner
step over to the blackboard
- v place (a ship's mast) in its step
- v measure (distances) by pacing
step off ten yards
- v move or proceed as if by steps into a new situation
She stepped into a life of luxury
he won't step into his father's footsteps
- A PTI cover story on the first steps of man.
- Want to share a fast Internet connection among several computers? Here's a step-by-step guide for setting up your own secure network.
- It had been my intention to step down from my job at Good Morning America in 2007 but with Peter's illness, Bob's injuries, and Elizabeth's pregnancy, the job at World News came .
News & Articles
- Two-step mechanism of inner ear tip link regrowth
Scientist have found an unexpected two-step process that happens during the growth and regeneration of inner ear tip links in mice. Tip links are extracellular tethers that link stereocilia, the tiny sensory projections on inner ear hair cells that convert sound into electrical signals, and play a key role in hearing. The discovery offers a possible mechanism for potential interventions that ...
June 12, 2013 - Science Daily
- Step One Creative Cuts the Ribbon on New Offices.
Greater Oswego/Fulton Chamber of Commerce representatives, CenterState CEO ambassadors, and Oswego City and County officials gathered with Step One Creative staff, family and friends recently for an Open House Celebration at the agency’s new offices at the Stevedore Lofts in Oswego, New York. Continue reading ? The post Step One Creative Cuts the Ribbon on New Offices. appeared first on Oswego ...
June 11, 2013 - Oswego County Today
- 2 Step Process for Entering a Conservative Trade with Ichimoku
2 Step Process for Entering a Conservative Trade with Ichimoku
June 11, 2013 - DailyFX via Yahoo! Finance
- Ben Bernanke in guardian.co.uk
A leveling out of economic activity is the first step toward recovery,Bernanke said in remarks prepared for a speech on Tuesday.
- Martha Coakley in Los Angeles Times
New construction in East Jerusalem and the West Bank undermines that mutual trust and endangers the proximity talks that are the first step towards the full negotiations that both sides say want and need. And it exposes daylight between Israel and... Hillary Rodham Clinton http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Rodham_Clinton&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHOarXVfe0H5lTsVdy93IEoGrJtYg Asia Times Online http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/LC24Ak02.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFde3dpueYgZbsRPGQ0csTb4EkOfQ Mar 23, 2010
94534 125639 step Today's landmark decision is an important step toward achieving equality for all married couples in Massachusetts and assuring that all of our citizens enjoy the same rights and protections under our Constitution," Coakley said. "It is...