- n relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body
it is much cooler in the shade
- n a quality of a given color that differs slightly from another color
after several trials he mixed the shade of pink that she wanted
- n protective covering that protects something from direct sunlight
they used umbrellas as shades
as the sun moved he readjusted the shade
- n a subtle difference in meaning or opinion or attitude
don't argue about shades of meaning
- n a position of relative inferiority
an achievement that puts everything else in the shade
his brother's success left him in the shade
- n a slight amount or degree of difference
the new model is a shade better than the old one
- n a mental representation of some haunting experience
- n a representation of the effect of shadows in a picture or drawing (as by shading or darker pigment)
- v cast a shadow over
- v represent the effect of shade or shadow on
- v protect from light, heat, or view
- v vary slightly
shade the meaning
- v pass from one quality such as color to another by a slight degree
the butterfly wings shade to yellow
- A look at best-selling shades around the world, from fashion-forward aviators in Milan to UV filters in hot Honolulu.
- The guitarist assures A-Mei that he does indeed feel that particular shade, not least because he's been caught in the A-Mei vortexa sexy, impish gaze that leaves men feeling .
- SHADE-OFF Once Tom Cruise was the undisputed sunglasses king.
News & Articles
- Natick beach gets new shade shelters
Beach-goers seeking refuge from the blazing summer sun have a new option at Memorial Beach thanks to the addition of two shade structures.
June 16, 2013 - The MetroWest Daily News
- Debbie Travis: Create summer shade where needed
Shade sails -- versatile covers that come in various shapes and sizes, generally triangular -- can be fastened to trees, porches or poles to shade gardens, pools, play spaces or seating areas. Unlike traditional umbrellas, the thin sails can be stretched taut to take up very little visual space.
June 15, 2013 - Inside Bay Area
- JOHN BEGNAUD: Hotspots can use some shade
For most of us it takes our hot summers in West Texas to remind us why we love shade and why it is important. Full sun in our part of the world is really full sun and really hot.
June 15, 2013 - The San Angelo Standard-Times
- Stephen Ames in Forbes
I'm going to play nine holes and then find a nice mango tree,said Ames, who grew up in Trinidad & Tobago. "That's what we used to do on days like this. Find a nice mango tree and hit balls in the shade. We'd cut down the grass and hit...
- Barack Obama in USA Today
When we send our young men and women into harm's way, we have a solemn obligation not to fudge the numbers or shade the truth about why they're going,Obama said in a jab at President Bush, "and to never - ever - go to war without enough...
- Marian McPartland in International Herald Tribune
The audience shared slices of her piano-shaped cake and her NPR colleagues presented her with a "Marian McPuppet" in her image, which McPartland joked had "the wrong shade of lipstick."