- n shade within clear boundaries
- n an unilluminated area
- n something existing in perception only
- n a premonition of something adverse
a shadow over his happiness
- n an indication that something has been present
- n refuge from danger or observation
he felt secure in his father's shadow
- n a dominating and pervasive presence
he received little recognition working in the shadow of his father
- n a spy employed to follow someone and report their movements
- n an inseparable companion
the poor child was his mother's shadow
- v follow, usually without the person's knowledge
The police are shadowing her
- v cast a shadow over
- v make appear small by comparison
- One of the essential features of the British parliamentary system is the shadow Cabinet.
- Yukio Hatoyama comes to office with much praised Cabinet choices, but political observers worry that his party's shadow shogun may try to exercise too much influence.
- But if the old men cast long shadows, McCain is about to learn, the young ones can too.
News & Articles
- Killzone: Shadow Fall for PS4 gets epic gameplay walkthrough
Killzone: Shadow Fall was arguably the most impressive of the PlayStation 4 unveil demos earlier this year, and now developers Guerrilla Games have more of the succulent first-person gameplay to tease us with ahead of the next-gen console’s launch. The studio walked E3 2013 attendees through a 21-minute walkthrough – which you can see after Read The Full Story
June 17, 2013 - SlashGear
- Moody's Disagrees on MetLife 'Shadow Insurance' Risk
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Metlife says ending a practice of so-called "shadow insurance" could cut at the insurer's credit rating and lead to higher costs for consumers. Moody's, a top ratings agency, appears to disagree. The apparent difference of opinion centers on an alleged $48 billion of claims life insurers such as Metlife, Lincoln National Life Insurance, Genworth and Prudential move from ...
June 17, 2013 - TheStreet.com
- Da Shadow’s Corner: Kali Street
Editor’s note: Old-timers might still remember the introduction from The Shadow radio program: “Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!” Jerome Freitas, a retired state Department of Transportation worker who is now better known as Da Shadow, since 2004 has been meeting with government representatives about problems he has discovered or that have been reported to him ...
June 16, 2013 - The Garden Island
- Bronislaw Komorowski in WNCT
We thank everybody the more so that it was an unusual campaign, a difficult campaign held in the shadow of catastrophe,Komorowski, 58, said.
- Barack Obama in Bloomberg
We can build a more hopeful America,Obama, 45, told supporters today in Springfield, Illinois. "And that is why, in the shadow of the Old State Capitol, where Lincoln once called on a divided house to stand together, where common hopes and...
- Patrick Swayze in Arizona Republic
They're reporting that I'm on my last legs and saying goodbye to my tearful family! . . . It's upsetting that the shoddy and reckless reporting from these publications cast a negative shadow on the positive and good fight I'm fighting,Swayze...