- n the front of the human head from the forehead to the chin and ear to ear
he washed his face
I wish I had seen the look on his face when he got the news
- n the feelings expressed on a person's face
an angry face
- n the general outward appearance of something
the face of the city is changing
- n the striking or working surface of an implement
- n a part of a person that is used to refer to a person
he looked out at a roomful of faces
when he returned to work he met many new faces
- n a surface forming part of the outside of an object
dew dripped from the face of the leaf
- n the part of an animal corresponding to the human face
- n the side upon which the use of a thing depends (usually the most prominent surface of an object)
he dealt the cards face down
- n a contorted facial expression
- n a specific size and style of type within a type family
- n status in the eyes of others
he lost face
- n impudent aggressiveness
- n a vertical surface of a building or cliff
- v deal with (something unpleasant) head on
He faced the terrible consequences of his mistakes
- v oppose, as in hostility or a competition
Jackson faced Smith in the boxing ring
- v be oriented in a certain direction, often with respect to another reference point; be opposite to
The building faces the park
- v be opposite
the two sofas face each other
- v turn so as to face; turn the face in a certain direction
Turn and face your partner now
- v present somebody with something, usually to accuse or criticize
He was faced with all the evidence and could no longer deny his actions
An enormous dilemma faces us
- v turn so as to expose the face
face a playing card
- v line the edge (of a garment) with a different material
face the lapels of the jacket
- v cover the front or surface of
The building was faced with beautiful stones
- French doctors complete the world's first face transplant.
- As a child, she struggled to pick out her own face in school photos, and she is hard-pressed today to describe her mother's features.
- Taxpayers face losses on a significant portion of the $81 billion in government aid provided to the auto industry.
News & Articles
- Blackhawks face Bruins in Stanley Cup Final Game 2
Blackhawks face Bruins in Stanley Cup Final Game 2.
June 16, 2013 - Fox Sports
- Face of immigration changing
“This is really about attracting talent to North Carolina, potentially, rather than raising revenue.” The face of Latino immigration into North Carolina is changing with more Latina women entering the state at a higher rate than ever before.
June 15, 2013 - The Daily Reflector
- The face of Iowa's flood frustrations - five years later
2008 FLOODS: Vince Fiala was the face of Iowa's 2008 flood frustration - and he remains an example of how bureaucratic snags have dogged the state's recovery. Video: FEMA issues plague Cedar Rapids man 49 photos: Recovery and buyouts Register special report: 5 years since the epic floods
June 15, 2013 - The Des Moines Register
- Barack Obama in Telegraph.co.uk
As other states and localities go their own ways, we face the prospect that different rules for immigration will apply in different parts of the country,he said. "A patchwork of local immigration rules where we all know one clear national...
- David S. Kris in Times of India
These charges underscore the global nature of the terrorist threat we face,Assistant Attorney General David Kris said.
- Al Gore in Globe and Mail
We face a true planetary emergency,Mr. Gore said in a statement shortly after winning the prize on Friday. "The climate crisis is not a political issue."