- n an occurrence of something
it was a case of bad judgment
- n a special set of circumstances
it may rain in which case the picnic will be canceled
- n a comprehensive term for any proceeding in a court of law whereby an individual seeks a legal remedy
- n the actual state of things
that was not the case
- n a portable container for carrying several objects
the musicians left their instrument cases backstage
- n a person requiring professional services
a typical case was the suburban housewife described by a marriage counselor
- n a person who is subjected to experimental or other observational procedures; someone who is an object of investigation
the cases that we studied were drawn from two different communities
- n a problem requiring investigation
Perry Mason solved the case of the missing heir
- n a statement of facts and reasons used to support an argument
he stated his case clearly
- n the quantity contained in a case
- n nouns or pronouns or adjectives (often marked by inflection) related in some way to other words in a sentence
- n a specific state of mind that is temporary
a case of the jitters
- n a person of a specified kind (usually with many eccentricities)
a mental case
- n a specific size and style of type within a type family
- n an enveloping structure or covering enclosing an animal or plant organ or part
- n the housing or outer covering of something
the clock has a walnut case
- n the enclosing frame around a door or window opening
- n (printing) the receptacle in which a compositor has his type, which is divided into compartments for the different letters, spaces, or numbers
for English, a compositor will ordinarily have two such cases, the upper case containing the capitals and the lower case containing the small letters
- n bed linen consisting of a cover for a pillow
the burglar carried his loot in a pillowcase
- n a glass container used to store and display items in a shop or museum or home
- v look over, usually with the intention to rob
They men cased the housed
- v enclose in, or as if in, a case
my feet were encased in mud
- The tragic case of Chantal Sbire's suicide has taken another twist: she refused treatment for her disease for nearly half a decade.
- What does the case of 9-year-old Hannah Poling tell us about a link between vaccines and autism?.
- The Hard Case Of Mary Bell The British press breathes new life--and new controversy--into a celebrated child murder case.
News & Articles
- Case ousted by St. Mary's in Div. 3 state softball semifinals
Case scored three times in the first inning, but was held without a run the rest of the way as St. Mary's of Lynn escaped with a 4-3 softball victory in the Division 3 state semifinals Wednesday night at Jack Tripp Field in Taunton.
June 13, 2013 - Fall River Herald News
- In case you missed it: Wed. in Review
In case you missed a story here or there, here are the local happenings from Wednesday, June 12, 2013.
June 13, 2013 - FOX Providence
- Case of whooping cough reported in San Patricio County
A case of pertussis, or whooping cough, has been reported in San Patricio County, the Regional Health Awareness Board reported Wednesday.
June 12, 2013 - Corpus Christi Caller-Times
- Elena Kagan in The Associated Press
I think it is a tragedy of the first proportion that a private corporation can be subjected to what I would characterize as a shakedown, in this case, a $20 billion shakedown, with the attorney general of the United States ...... participating in... Joe Barton http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Barton&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGmdfpq-zjgIpAsuJROjL--jffs0Q FOXNews (blog) http://www.google.com/url?q=http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/06/17/holder-no-final-deal-on-bps-20-billion-2/&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEfZQ6q6ZhY9dXy_6DoYRXOLuyVlw Jun 17, 2010
15474 21507 case I did believe we had a strong case to make. I tried to make it to the best of my ability," she told Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, who questioned her in detail about Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission.
- FrÃ©dÃ©ric Mitterrand in guardian.co.uk
Mitterrand said he was in contact with the French president, Nicolas Sarkozy, "who is following the case with great attention and shares the minister's hope that the situation can be quickly resolved".