- v stay clear from; keep away from; keep out of the way of someone or something
Her former friends now avoid her
- v prevent the occurrence of; prevent from happening
Let's avoid a confrontation
- v refrain from doing something
He should avoid publishing his wife's memories
- v refrain from certain foods or beverages
During Ramadan, Muslims avoid tobacco during the day
- v declare invalid
- This surgery is unfortunate, though it is a way for women who have insisted on living their own lives to avoid punishment under a backward custom.
- Estimates of India's parallel economy legitimate business conducted in cash to avoid taxation at either end vary widely, with some economists speculating that the "black .
- To "live" (avoid death) in this society you are forced to conformslave away.
- Roger Goodell in Boston Globe
This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field,Commissioner Roger Goodell wrote in a letter to the Patriots.
- Ben Bernanke in New York Times
The arithmetic is, unfortunately, quite clear,Mr. Bernanke said. "To avoid large and unsustainable budget deficits, the nation will ultimately have to choose among higher taxes, modifications to entitlement programs such as Social Security...
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in Washington Post
We are working hard to avoid an escalation of belligerence and provocation,Clinton said.