nullify : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v declare invalid
- v show to be invalid
- v make ineffective by counterbalancing the effect of
- It wasn't enough for us to nullify disabling conditions and get to zero.
- By petitioning for a referendum on a newly enacted law, a mere 5% of Michigan's voters can nullify that law until the next general election, which in this case will be in 1968.
- Sotomayor was on the three-judge panel that okayed New Haven's decision to nullify the tests.
News & Articles
- States continuing efforts to nullify federal gun control laws
States are increasingly adopting laws that purport to nullify federal laws — setting up intentional legal conflicts, directing local police not to enforce federal laws and, in rare cases, even threatening criminal charges for federal agents who dare to do their jobs. Read more
June 21, 2013 - Columbia Missourian
- Federal nullification efforts mounting in states
Extreme Missouri legislation intended to nullify federal laws gaining momentum.
June 21, 2013 - Abilene Reporter-News
- States' efforts to invalidate federal laws gain momentum
Recent legislation in Missouri is perhaps the most extreme example of a states' rights movement that has been spreading across the nation. States are increasingly adopting laws that purport to nullify federal laws — setting up intentional legal conflicts, directing local police not to enforce federal laws and, in rare cases, even threatening criminal charges for federal agents who dare to do ...
June 21, 2013 - The Oregonian
- Omar al-Bashir in Reuters UK
The NRA will work to ensure this constitutional victory is not transformed into a practical defeat by activist judges, defiant city councils, or cynical politicians who seek to pervert, reverse, or nullify the Supreme Court's McDonald decision... Wayne LaPierre http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_LaPierre&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHOhonU9lsFOH1WwNs1nZIWCw6rvg CBS News http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20009049-503544.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNH1ExAh0FJUQLgzTe-AL8ZP-4a-jQ Jun 28, 2010
68608 91578 nullify Still Bashir wrote, Proposals that tend to amend, nullify or suspend any article of the DPA will not be acceptable as it may reopen discussions over issues that were previously settled without difficulty."
- Nechirvan Barzani in Forbes
I'd like to say frankly that Iraq's Oil Minister Hussain al-Shahristani cannot nullify any contract the Kurdistan government has concluded with the foreign companies,the semiautonomous region's prime minister, Nechirvan Barzani, told AP...