- v prevent the occurrence of; prevent from happening
- v turn from a straight course, fixed direction, or line of interest
- v turn aside and away from an initial or intended course
- v draw someone's attention away from something
He deflected his competitors
- v impede the movement of (an opponent or a ball)
- The State Department refused to comment on the compromise, but officials said wire-mesh guards ("mosquito screens" that deflect 90% of the microwaves) have been installed across .
- But those were fictions meant to deflect challenges to his authenticity as a Palestinian.
- On the trail, McCain likes to deflect questions about his age and health with jokes.
News & Articles
- New Gomez ad mocks Democratic attack ad
Republican Senate candidate Gabriel E. Gomez is trying to use a dose of humor to deflect Democratic criticism of his positions on health care and taxes.
June 12, 2013 - Boston Globe
- Obama blamed for NSA spying revelations by whistleblower advocate group
An advocate for government whistleblowers blamed the Obama administration Tuesday for failing to provide protections for intelligence employees who want to report abuses and wrongdoing, as authorities intensified their global manhunt for national-security leaker Edward Snowden. For the second consecutive day, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney sought to deflect ...
June 11, 2013 - The Washington Times
- Geovany Soto in ESPN
This is what happens when the President and members of Congress don't read the bills. The White House and others are merely attempting to deflect attention from the intense negativity caused by their unpopular policies. I never consulted with the... Johnny Isakson http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Isakson&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHu-c0mipn1V-bFE7wBzA_oAWjYtA msnbc.com http://www.google.com/url?q=http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/08/11/2027345.aspx&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFOyHG0WAxNNwe2GEqctAcTJ1cEgw Aug 11, 2009
25886 34678 deflect While I fully acknowledge my inappropriate behavior, I want to assure my fans and my family that this was an isolated incident," Soto said in a statement released by the Cubs. "I do not say this to minimize or deflect from my conduct and I...
- Drew Rosenhaus in USA Today
Marion said he was happy Terence Newman also signed because it would deflect some of the ribbing he's going to get from his teammates,Rosenhaus said.